New Member seeking advice Brooklyn or New Classic

Hello everyone:

I've been a reader for a little while but have yet to post. Love it here. Don't know why I hadn't pais more attention earlier (maybe five year old has something to do with it).

Anyway, I've always been a fan of Gretsch drums. In fact, I used to play a red sparkle four piece back in high school (late 80's - early 90's) and first year of college (the kit was stolen that year) ... and even though I've had several nice kits since then -- I still think about that dumpy old kit.

So I've done research and decided now is the time to jump back on the Gretsch train and was wondering if any of you Gretsch fans have any opinions, one way or the other, on Gretsch Brooklyn and New Classic kits? The USA Customs are out of my reach financially so I'm leaning towards a Brooklyn because those kits remind me a little bit of my old kit -- and for no quantifiable reason.

Any input would be most appreciated. Have a great day!!

GruntersDad

Honorary Lifetime CEO
Staff member
I have Gretsch Renown, was looking at new Classics when the Renown deal came along. I think the Brooklyn are closer to the USA in build without the money, but either way you can't go wrong. If I had the money it would be Brooklyn.

Those are my impressions as well! Thank you!!

By the way, regarding your signature -- I was at one of Don's clinics many years ago (mid 1990s - I believe) and wow -- that guy has crazy chops, a very positive attitude, and he's super funny! I attended probably a dozen different drum clinics in my life and his was by far the most entertaining on several levels. The best part may have been that he made everyone feel proud to be a member of the drumming community.

I have Gretsch Renown, was looking at new Classics when the Renown deal came along. I think the Brooklyn are closer to the USA in build without the money, but either way you can't go wrong. If I had the money it would be Brooklyn.

I recently sold a renown maple kit and bought a Brooklyn in bop sizes. I have to say the Brooklyn's are everything I expected them to be and more. I don't have any experience with the new classic series but I can definitely recommend the brooklyns.

edvia

Both kits are great, but I'll make this easy for you. Brooklyn, hands down. Don't even think twice about it.

Thanks for the positive reinforcement (!!)... and I didn't need to think about it twice when it came down to it.

I'm now the proud owner of a 5-piece Brooklyn set that I had my eye on for a while now. Its finished in the Dark Ebony stain with a 6.5x14 Chrome-over-Brass snare. My word, the quality of this kit is amazing -- in terms of sound, craftsmanship, and of course appearance.

I literally spent all of Sunday going over every inch of the kit inspecting it -- just to see if there were any flaws in the finish or if the bearing edges were off ... nothing. They did such a great job!

I am so impressed! How do you guys like yours? Is it me or is this a big-sounding drums? The heads are the Gretsch permatones - what heads do you all use?

Very excited!

taiko

I have owned two New Classic kits and a USA Custom--all in bop sizes. I have not owned a Brooklyn, so no opinion on that. I can say that I like the New Classics better than the USA Customs. I like the sound better and find the build quality to be outstanding. Some people get pissy about the fact that they are made in Taiwan. My response is, "who cares? They are amazing drums."

I had a New Classic bop kit in the blue sparkle and, quite stupidly, sold it. It's one of the only kits I've ever regretted selling (and I've had about 20 different kits of all sorts of makes and types). Last summer, I finally managed to find a good deal on another New Classic kit in the Vintage sparkle and bought it right away. I love the kit and keep it at the restaurant where I gig every week.

I also own a Canopus Neo Vintage kit, which is the best drum set I have ever owned/heard. That said, the New Classic compares well with the Canopus kit. I really love the New Classics and would not let my current NC kit go. I hope this helps some.

taiko

Thanks for the positive reinforcement (!!)... and I didn't need to think about it twice when it came down to it.

I'm now the proud owner of a 5-piece Brooklyn set that I had my eye on for a while now. Its finished in the Dark Ebony stain with a 6.5x14 Chrome-over-Brass snare. My word, the quality of this kit is amazing -- in terms of sound, craftsmanship, and of course appearance.

I literally spent all of Sunday going over every inch of the kit inspecting it -- just to see if there were any flaws in the finish or if the bearing edges were off ... nothing. They did such a great job!

I am so impressed! How do you guys like yours? Is it me or is this a big-sounding drums? The heads are the Gretsch permatones - what heads do you all use?

Very excited!

Well, I should have read all of the posts. Congratulations on the new Brooklyn kit. Sounds amazing. I'm sure it's going to be a fantastic instrument.

I use Evans G1 heads on my New Classic kit.

No worries, Taiko!

And by the way, the New Classics and Brooklyn series are both (!!) great additions to the Gretsch line of drums. When I wrote that I didn't need to think twice about it -- it was in reference to doing the actual purchasing of the kit and not a slam on the New Classic, if it came off that way.

I knew I was going to buy either one of those kits but ultimately went with the Brooklyn because when I set out to buy a Gretsch -- the Brooklyn I bought more closely resembled the one I had in my mind from long ago (see my original post). I love it too!

And by the way - how on earth did you let yourself sell that gorgous Ocean Sparkle NC bop kit?

taiko

No worries, Taiko!

And by the way, the New Classics and Brooklyn series are both (!!) great additions to the Gretsch line of drums. When I wrote that I didn't need to think twice about it -- it was in reference to doing the actual purchasing of the kit and not a slam on the New Classic, if it came off that way.

I knew I was going to buy either one of those kits but ultimately went with the Brooklyn because when I set out to buy a Gretsch -- the Brooklyn I bought more closely resembled the one I had in my mind from long ago (see my original post). I love it too!

And by the way - how on earth did you let yourself sell that gorgous Ocean Sparkle NC bop kit?

Oh I didn't read it that way. I'm delighted you like the Brooklyn kit. I've thought about getting one myself, but I'm pretty well set with drums right now with a Canopus Neo Vintage, Gretsch NC and a DW kit on the way. I also have a Gretsch Catalina Club Street (which is really my daughter's kit, but I use it sometimes). Too many drums out there.

How did I let the Ocean Sparkle NC kit go? Well, it was a moment of stupidity. It's a great finish and it was a fabulous kit. I regretted it as soon as I sold it, although I did actually get a bit more than I paid for it. Now that I have the vintage gold sparkle kit, I'm quite happy with it and I think I may like it even more than the blue. It has such a classic vibe to it. I get quite a few comments on the kit, actually.