New Ludwig Speed King

Wow. That's pretty lame. This stuff is not rocket science. It shouldn't take a ton of effort to announce a product at NAMM and deliver it to retailers quickly. The competent planners have product manufactured in the pipeline Before announce.

It's pretty common for companies at NAMM to be three or four months 'out' from shipping new product that they show. It's not just Ludwig, and it's not just drums.

The MI industry is pretty fast compared to car companies who are notorious for teasing the public with models at car shows that are a year or two ahead of availability.

Bermuda

I have my dads Speed king from 1955...i still use it on his kit for my jazz stuff. I wonder how much it was back then...

and the new one DEFINITELY better have The Squeak. That is a prime characteristic!!

and the new one DEFINITELY better have The Squeak. That is a prime characteristic

No, they finally fixed that! I'm working on a sample though. You take the kick track, copy it, Sound-Replace™ the copied track with the squeak sample, and move the whole squeak track ahead about 20ms so it leads up to the kick punch. E Z P Z :)

No, they finally fixed that! I'm working on a sample though. You take the kick track, copy it, Sound-Replace™ the copied track with the squeak sample, and move the whole squeak track ahead about 20ms so it leads up to the kick punch. E Z P Z :)

How easy would it be to add that to backing tracks? Could the new version of the pedal come with a website link to download that sample?

How easy would it be to add that to backing tracks? Could the new version of the pedal come with a website link to download that sample?
Backing track is easy IF you play every kick, and perfectly in time. If you miss or add any, the jig is up!

I'll post the sample one of these days, my treat!

Backing track is easy IF you play every kick, and perfectly in time. If you miss or add any, the jig is up!

I'll post the sample one of these days, my treat!

awesome!!! the squeak is so important to our heritage

I was feeling the need for some non-delayed gratification and bought one of the black painted reissue SK’s used from a Sam Ash on reverb for $99. I’ll probably still get a new one when they’re available too. I’m thinking down the road I’ll buy another matching 24” kick and maybe a 14x10 tom ....

I was feeling the need for some non-delayed gratification and bought one of the black painted reissue SK’s used from a Sam Ash on reverb for $99. I’ll probably still get a new one when they’re available too. I’m thinking down the road I’ll buy another matching 24” kick and maybe a 14x10 tom ....
And here it is-
FD984C8A-F61A-4108-B12D-5A32634F9B54.jpeg

I feel ashamed that I own a 100% Ludwig drum set straight down to the hardware (ok, 95% maybe. I think I've got a couple of LP or Gibraltar clamps in there) and have never played a Speed King Pedal. Maybe I'll need to give one a try when I see the new ones.

Has Ludwig solved the problem of the "feet" being too deep on the hoop? I was playing with an older one the other day, I had to keep backing it off away from the hoop before I clamped it down, otherwise the drive mechanism would scrape against the head. It seemed like it was barely clamped on the hoop. On other pedals, I slide them under the hoop as far as they will go and it's perfect. The older Speed Kings had to be backed way off, so they were only about 50% (or less) under the hoop while clamped.

Anyone have any clues on when the Speed King will be released? I'm sure the virus may be having some delays on things. Chicago Music Exchange has June 2 as the expected date on the Reverb page. I wasn't sure if that was official or if anyone had any details on the release.

Back