New Hi Hat Clutch

Yes to me the Tama feels like more solid in my hand.

The Pearl is actually heavier in hand. (At least it feels that way to me)

I don’t really like Pearl Drums but I love Pearl hardware. I’ve owned all the high end tama hi hat stands and own a DW9000 one as well, but this Pearl redline hi hat stand feels the best and Is the most stable

Is this the same clutch ? CB8E9D3B-D589-4C24-8845-CB56FE468723.jpeg

The Pearl is actually heavier in hand. (At least it feels that way to me)

I don’t really like Pearl Drums but I love Pearl hardware. I’ve owned all the high end tama hi hat stands and own a DW9000 one as well, but this Pearl redline hi hat stand feels the best and Is the most stable

Is this the same clutch ? View attachment 107402

Yes is the same clutch, the Pearl is a great clutch, is much faster than Tama but in my hand is less sturdy, the Tama for me is more solid and the chrome plating is better on Tama for me, when i take for the first time the Pearl clutch with my hand it feels like a "creaks". I Love Pearl drums but i prefer much more Tama hardware than Pearl hardware. What do you think of this Tama clutch?

That said, I also went fancy and ordered a clutch from Cherry Hill Drums that looks something like this:
This clutch is pretty. I'm not gonna discuss its cost other than I wouldnt do it. It does have this though:
20210817_151826.jpg
That allen screw to lock the bottom nut is fantastic. Still not worth the cost (to me), but definitely a cool feature nonetheless.

This clutch is pretty. I'm not gonna discuss its cost other than I wouldnt do it. It does have this though:
View attachment 107407
That allen screw to lock the bottom nut is fantastic. Still not worth the cost (to me), but definitely a cool feature nonetheless.
View attachment 107407

They are no doubt expensive as hell. But they are hand made to order and I liked supporting a small business.

The reality is: a clutch is a clutch. And you only notice it if you have a bad one. A good one does it’s job and gets zero attention

Now i think why Tama use this plastic sleeve under the clutch and not metal, is for not damage the hi hat cymbal right ?
No. It’s because it’s a moving part and cannot bind or rust.

1629289373457.jpeg

Now i think why Tama use this plastic sleeve under the clutch and not metal, is for not damage the hi hat cymbal right ?

I recently got the quick release clutch. You can press the button on the bottom to (un)mount the top cymbal. The cymbal rests on the felt and that red ring actually replaces the top felt. It only has two point that connects to the cymbal instead on an entire felt. It does open up the sound a bit more and allows to the cymbal to move more freely, according to how tight you turn it down. A bit of a weird closeup this way, because you can't easily spot where the top cymbal is supposed to go.

have a look at the Gibralter quick release hihat clutch.

H80110000000000-00-500x500.jpg
I bought this from a recommendation on this forum, I love it.

+1 for the Pearl quick release clutch. I also own the Gibraltar one as well, but found that the area where the wing nut tightens on the rod tends to damage the rod a bit. I prefer the Pearl.

My ideal clutch:

- non-marring clamp
- all metal, no plastic, no anodized colors
- smooth/unthreaded hat contact area
- clean design
- uncomplicated, lockable, failure proof lower retainer

To me that last one rules out lower retainers with set screws, complex machining, moving parts, and bayonet fittings. I think it should just be jam nuts with a nylon washer between them for friction so they lock. As far as I know, no one makes a clutch like this. Of the clutches currently available, the Tama CL08 and Gibraltar Quick Release probably come closest to my wish list, but neither are quite there. I actually ordered some parts last night and am going to try to Frankenstein something together.

hat allen screw to lock the bottom nut is fantastic. Still not worth the cost (to me), but definitely a cool feature nonetheless.
Drill + tap + allen set screw from Ace or HD = your own version for like $6

Now i have this and there is no plastic, is all metal construction but i don't know if the new Tama QHC7 Quick release clutch is more durable and sturdier than old

View attachment 107337
The felt pads on this one seem a bit soft to me. It certainly protects the hole of the cymbal!
Anyway, steer clear from anything Dixon. Especially their 'normal' drop clutch. The machining on that clutch is very crude, and it doesn't lock firmly.

Anyone tried one of these? (DW One Touch)

Nitpicks would be the slightly clunky looking clamp (the Tama CL08 has the most elegant clamp IMO), and the fact that the felts are permanently attached to the retainer nuts, presumably with glue. I wonder if you can peel off the factory felts and use your own. Otherwise I think it gets a lot of things right.

Back