New hi hat brewking in period

Hey guys, hope all is well. As the title suggests it, is there a breaking in period with new hi hats as in the point of contact gets a bit shaved off due to constant rubbing against one another and friction. Does it change the sound? Whats your experience? I've had a pair of new hi hats that have changed the sound a bit after initial breaking in i guess.

Rock Salad

I got some new cymbals a couple of years ago and they seem to be settling in. Not a big difference, but I was noticing the other day. They are all just a tad softer and smoother feeling

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
I think cymbals/hats may do a little "breaking in" over time but it's probably minimal. There are also factors to consider in terms to the sound changing (dirt, grime, patina, etc.). With that said, I'd never buy anything that I didn't like in hopes that it would sound better over time.

JimmyM

Platinum Member
I think cymbals/hats may do a little "breaking in" over time but it's probably minimal. There are also factors to consider in terms to the sound changing (dirt, grime, patina, etc.). With that said, I'd never buy anything that I didn't like in hopes that it would sound better over time.
Me neither. Only thing that counts for me is today. Fortunately it’s not much of a struggle.

Oh no way) i would never do that) its just an observation, thats all