New Heads for a Premier Resonator

Pig

Hi,
I'm looking at putting new heads on my 1987 Resonator kit, and pretty much have come down to Remo Pinstripe with Ambassadors on the bottom or Evans G2 and G1.

I read through quite a few of the threads on here and it seems that the general consensus is that Pinstripes have less "sing" than the Evans. I play mainly rock and punk, but my question really is how do these heads go with my kit? Does the fact that I have the Resonator liners in affect which heads I need, as in do the liners already make the drum "resonate or sing" meaning I need somethingthat works with them and not against them.....if that makes sense!

I currently have Code batters and probably the original resonance heads on at the minute. As you can tell I'm not particularly experienced in the sounds of different heads so all advice welcome thank you

Hi,
I'm looking at putting new heads on my 1987 Resonator kit, and pretty much have come down to Remo Pinstripe with Ambassadors on the bottom or Evans G2 and G1.

I read through quite a few of the threads on here and it seems that the general consensus is that Pinstripes have less "sing" than the Evans. I play mainly rock and punk, but my question really is how do these heads go with my kit? Does the fact that I have the Resonator liners in affect which heads I need, as in do the liners already make the drum "resonate or sing" meaning I need somethingthat works with them and not against them.....if that makes sense!

I currently have Code batters and probably the original resonance heads on at the minute. As you can tell I'm not particularly experienced in the sounds of different heads so all advice welcome thank you
Pics please!!! That was my dream kit back in the day!! :D (y) I’m a rock/metal guy and a staunch pinstripe player for toms. I reckon they’ll be great with your kit for the style of music you play.:unsure:(y):)

Pics please!!! That was my dream kit back in the day!! :D (y) I’m a rock/metal guy and a staunch pinstripe player for toms. I reckon they’ll be great with your kit for the style of music you play.:unsure:(y):)
If I can do it.....I will......thanks for your advice

I read through quite a few of the threads on here and it seems that the general consensus is that Pinstripes have less "sing" than the Evans.
First off, gorgeous kit.

The heads you listed ..... the Evan will sing more, yes ..... because the G2 is a two ply head ..... and the Pinstripe is a two ply head with an overtone reducing agent. A Remo head equivalent to the G2 would be an Emperor. An Evans head similar the a Pinstripe would be the Hydraulic. Though I think the Hydraulic has even more dampening than the Pinstripe.

Pinstripe over Ambassador would be a "classic" head combo for your drums (and styles of music). I have a mid-80's Slingerland Magnum kit, and I'm running clear Pinstripe over clear C.S. black dots. A nod to the era.

If you were looking for more of an "open" sound, you could run Ambassador or Emperor (G1 or G2) batter. Clear if you want brighter ..... coated if you want warmer "vintage" tone.

Thanks very much for your help. The truth is I probably don't know what sound I'm asking for! As ridiculous as that may sound I have always just played and never really learned about tones and warmth etc....sorry....must sound bad. I know when my kit sounds right for me, and I know when I've played on other people's kits, they either sound right for me or they don't!

I must sound a right thicko...but I'm kind of looking for a deep thudding sound as opposed to bright long overtones...I guess.

Like I say, sorry for sounding like I've never played before....but it's the first time I've put new heads on this kit....and the first time I've had a kit that I love so much I want to get the best sound out of it. Thanks again for your help

Between those options I'd go with a Pinstripe/Ambassador combo in a heartbeat.
I am open to other options such as what Harry said above. I only put those as that's what I'd been told would be best, so please if you think there is something better for me let me know. Thanks

First off, gorgeous kit.

The heads you listed ..... the Evan will sing more, yes ..... because the G2 is a two ply head ..... and the Pinstripe is a two ply head with an overtone reducing agent. A Remo head equivalent to the G2 would be an Emperor. An Evans head similar the a Pinstripe would be the Hydraulic. Though I think the Hydraulic has even more dampening than the Pinstripe.

Pinstripe over Ambassador would be a "classic" head combo for your drums (and styles of music). I have a mid-80's Slingerland Magnum kit, and I'm running clear Pinstripe over clear C.S. black dots. A nod to the era.

If you were looking for more of an "open" sound, you could run Ambassador or Emperor (G1 or G2) batter. Clear if you want brighter ..... coated if you want warmer "vintage" tone.
Thanks for your input. I always wanted black dots as a nod to the era, but they all look to be single ply so I ruled them out. I never thought about running them as reso heads. So, purely on sound would you go pinstripe/ ambassador or pinstripe/ Cs?

I must sound a right thicko...but I'm kind of looking for a deep thudding sound as opposed to bright long overtones...I guess.

Like I say, sorry for sounding like I've never played before....but it's the first time I've put new heads on this kit....and the first time I've had a kit that I love so much I want to get the best sound out of it. Thanks again for your help
Then you're heading in the right direction with the Pinstripe. Drum head choices and combo's ..... it's a lot of trial and (sometimes) error. And the cost of drum heads can be prohibitive to experimentation.
Thanks for your input. I always wanted black dots as a nod to the era, but they all look to be single ply so I ruled them out. I never thought about running them as reso heads. So, purely on sound would you go pinstripe/ ambassador or pinstripe/ Cs?
When the kit came to me, it has C.S. heads on some of the drums. I just decided to run with that ball ..... since I'd never tried it before. The toms are simple massive. Slingerland called them Mega-Toms, and that they are. Square sized. 10x10, 12x12, 13x13. With the more standard 16x16 and 18x16 floor toms ...... and a 24x14 bass drum.

Drumhead Authority says this, about the C.S. as a reso. "As a resonant tom drumhead, the Controlled Sound Clear will give you a little less sustain than a standard 10mil resonant head, thanks to the center dot. This is useful if you want to keep some sustain, but don’t want the ringing to get out of control." And the link here:

https://drumheadauthority.com/product/remo-controlled-sound-clear-drumhead/

And this is a really good site for drum head info.

Certainly, an Ambassador reso. would be a more common choice. The black dot does add a bit of dampening to the reso. Not a lot, but a little. Now, potting a Powerstroke3 or a Pinstripe reso. ...... THAT would be a lot;)

I got some orphan Yamaha 7000 drums (14x10 and 18x16) that had Pinstripes batter and reso. Not the choice I would have made. At all. Too much dampening.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pig
You need new heads. Something different than what you have now.

You know, there are coated pinstripes and uncoated ones. And then there are the controlled sound center dots. Something to think about.

Have you considered any of Aquarian's offerings?

I've been a pinstripe player for decades, but I'm about to try the Performance 2 as I've heard good things about them. I'll order a Response 2 and a Studio X as well just in case the Performance 2s are too dead for me.
No I haven't....but only as I don't know much about them really

I would also echo what most say here. Pinstripes over Ambassadors. I also use Emperors over Ambassadors as well. :)

Apparently the Performance 2s are comparable to the Pinstripes. I've read and heard that they really take to low tuning which is what I prefer.
I'm ordering a sample tonight.
I tried a coated Performance 2 on a 14” floor Tom and it sounds incredible…I bought it for a snare drum as an experiment but wasn’t happy with it. I put it on the floor tom pending buying my usual clear pinstripe, but decided to keep it on because it sounded so good… (y) :)

I've been a pinstripe player for decades, but I'm about to try the Performance 2 as I've heard good things about them. I'll order a Response 2 and a Studio X as well just in case the Performance 2s are too dead for me.
The studio-x clears are my go to. I have never had bad tone from anything Aquarian makes.
My usual is studio-x clear over classic clear.

Resonators are a different beast. You do have the lining in no?. Back in the day they were a contender for me as I dig Premier kits. I've owned 3..no resonators. They have their own sound from what I gather. Patty Smyth..THE WARRIOR tune had resonators on it if I'm not mistaken. Without the liner aren't the shells basically premier projectors?. Loads of experimentation on those babies. What a coooool kit!.

I've used Performance 2's before. They are very Pinstripe-like and they're great for adding a little focus. I used them mostly on a birch kit and they toned down the brightness a little but kept them sounding big and full. I really like the Response 2 a lot as well. I'm definitely a 2-ply tom head kind of a guy so I've experimented a lot with almost all of Aquarian's offerings, from Super 2, Response 2, Performance 2, and the Force 10.
I am open to other options such as what Harry said above. I only put those as that's what I'd been told would be best, so please if you think there is something better for me let me know. Thanks
I think Pinstripes are a great choice for your drums to get the sound you are probably looking for. My favorite Remo head is the Vintage Emperor so I'd recommend those too.

I've used Performance 2's before. They are very Pinstripe-like and they're great for adding a little focus. I used them mostly on a birch kit and they toned down the brightness a little but kept them sounding big and full. I really like the Response 2 a lot as well. I'm definitely a 2-ply tom head kind of a guy so I've experimented a lot with almost all of Aquarian's offerings, from Super 2, Response 2, Performance 2, and the Force 10.

I think Pinstripes are a great choice for your drums to get the sound you are probably looking for. My favorite Remo head is the Vintage Emperor so I'd recommend those too.
Thank you

Resonators are a different beast. You do have the lining in no?. Back in the day they were a contender for me as I dig Premier kits. I've owned 3..no resonators. They have their own sound from what I gather. Patty Smyth..THE WARRIOR tune had resonators on it if I'm not mistaken. Without the liner aren't the shells basically premier projectors?. Loads of experimentation on those babies. What a coooool kit!.
Yes I have the liners in. They really give out a boom as it is, so looking forward to putting decent heads on

Back