New drummer, new kit...sort of

wraub

Hi.
I'm a long time bass player, but have always wanted to play drums. After many, many years of air drums and tabletop drums, and months of playing a thrift store find of some unmatching drums and some accessories,, I finally began the search for a kit that I could learn on, possibly grow with, definitely enjoy now, and, afford on a very modest budget. Fortunately, I had more patience than money, and not quite 2 weeks ago, I got the drums you see below.

All this was assembled over approximately 2.5 years, on a very low budget, and by stalking for deals and employing good timing and very good luck.
It is my first real, full kit, it is nothing special, and I think I love it. :D

PDP EZ Series Shells, from 10 years ago or more, I think- 6 lug toms- 22" bass, 13" and 14" toms, 16" floor tom, Evans EC2 Heads
Pearl EX snare 14" x 5" (with Coated Emperor Head) (I also have the PDP Snare with new Evans Genera G1 head, and a Pulse steel snare with a new Evans Control Dot head)
Zildjian ZHT 14" hats, 16" crash, 18" crash/ride. and 20" ride ("nice set")
Meinl HCS 13" hats, 8" splash (2), 12" China, 14" crash, Paiste PST3 18" crash/ride ("daily set"), Agazarian 16" crash (currently unused)
(when I set up the "nice set", I also incorporate the Meinl splash and China)
PDP heavy-duty throne and stands, unknown brand medium duty stand
Mapex heavy duty High Hat stand, not sure of the model

I also have a Pulse High Hat stand and an old copy of an older Ludwig snare stand, along with the Sonor Force 2003 bass drum and non-matching Tama toms that was my starter kit, so technically have another smaller kit too.

And, yes, I know the bass head is upside down, but I liked the flying cow better than the logo. :D

I know nothing here is "great", but, it is great for me right now, and, all told, for all described, I spent... almost embarrassingly little. :)
I consider myself very, very lucky to have acquired it all, and I am beyond pleased.

Onward into the groove...

Thanks for letting me share. ;)

20200205_195857-2.jpg

Last edited:

wraub

I did finally replace the 2 missing claws and rods on the front bass rim, all now tuned and sounding good. Just took me a minute to find them locally (45 minutes one-way locally), but, local merchants and whatnot. I did other errands on the way, it was an adventure.

Some research has indicated a major lack of love for these drums, but I think they sound quite good.
I guess it's the "starter kit" thing, and I can see that, but, I also have a few Squier instruments, and I know that value and quality can exceed brand and price point, to a, um, point. :)

I'm sure the Evans heads help, and I can imagine that all the materials are the lowest quality, but, it's all held up this long, and alll the shells are round, all the rims are straight, and there's no rust or pitting on the hardware...

I have been watching vids on tuning and setting up, and I'm having great fun learning (and sounding not terrible).

I really should have done this long ago. :D

wraub

I have been a musician a long time, and I know what a high quality drum kit looks like and can sound like... While these are not those, these are acceptably close enough for me to learn what I might really like better, sound good enough to keep me playing, and, they were affordable.

Happy, I definitely am. :) Thanks!

Not the first PDP bass drum head I have seen on upside down. If you are happy, drum on!!

danondrums

I have been a musician a long time, and I know what a high quality drum kit looks like and can sound like... While these are not those, these are acceptably close enough for me to learn what I might really like better, sound good enough to keep me playing, and, they were affordable.

Happy, I definitely am. :) Thanks!
I think you missed his point.
He’s letting you know the bass drum head is turned 180 degrees from its’ intended position.

Doesn’t matter but I thought I’d at least clarify.

wraub

No, I got that...

In fact, I mentioned it in the OP. :)

I think you missed his point.
He’s letting you know the bass drum head is turned 180 degrees from its’ intended position.

Doesn’t matter but I thought I’d at least clarify.