New Drumhead Day! (Please Forgive, I am a Noob and This Stuff Excites Me)

Jeremy Crockett

Hello, Friends!

I beg your patience as all this drumming business is still fresh and new to me. I am a bass player who, just last month, bought a kit (used from OfferUp) for the very first time.
The set (a Tama Imperialstar) came with the requisite entry-level Meinl cymbals but had Evans G2 clear heads. I, first, replaced the cymbals with Paiste PST7s but did not think too much about the heads. However, as I played with them, I was rather unsatisfied with the tone they were producing. I wanted something more "thud-y", "warmer" is the term I had seen used often.

At some point, Remo Emperor Vintage Coated heads hit my radar. So, I checked out the Remo site and... Wow! There was what I was listening for!

On Friday, I picked some up at the local GC and spent this morning changing out the heads. Now, I suppose that( in the future), this endeavor may become tedious. But, I sure did enjoy doing it for the first time. I poured a cup of coffee, put on some Mantovani, and got down to business.

I am sure that I have some more fine-tuning to do but, to my ears, the drums sound like a million bucks now!

I thank you for your indulgence in this. To me; it's brand new.

Remo01.jpg

Remo02.jpg

Remo05.jpg

Remo08.jpg

Remo10.jpg

Now, I suppose that( in the future), this endeavor may become tedious. But, I sure did enjoy doing it for the first time.

I am sure that I have some more fine-tuning to do but, to my ears, the drums sound like a million bucks now!
You'll become faster as you do it more often - saving 10 seconds per rod adds up. :) Here are some "tricks" I find helpful:
- using two keys at times
- where to put the drum while tuning it (it can be become uncomfortable if you need to bend over or kneel for an hour)
- Cleaning the rods can make tuning more easy (if they are dirty and get stuck at times)

After seating the head and looking that the rods are in line with the lug nuts, I'll get them finger-tight (if you just spin them with your fingers, it's a lot faster to get to that point than with a key). Then I'll do 3 or 4 180° turns. At that point it's most often too low for me. I might do smaller turns like 90° from here on out.
For fine-tuning I'll look for the rods that are completely off and eliminate those first. Then I'll look for the next one that is most out of line and so on.
As with guitar strings, I always tune "up" to the final tension - for example, if it's too high, I'll go down 90° and 45° up.

Some heads need a few adjustments in the beginning or even tuning it up a bit first - don't worry about that.

New Drumhead Day never gets boring. I'm 58, have been playng for 45 years and I still get all excited to put a new set of heads on my drums.

Except on the bass drum?..when my B.D. is sounding reeeal nice it's a sign it will soon need changed befor you experience the beater through the head night.

Next paycheck.

Hello, Friends!

..... bought a kit (used from OfferUp) for the very first time.
The set (a Tama Imperialstar) came with Evans G2 clear heads.

I thank you for your indulgence in this. To me; it's brand new.
New heads ..... especially new heads that are the type YOU LIKE, are key to making you a happy drummer. Enjoy !!!

I would much rather change the heads on twenty drums than change six guitar strings. New heads are awesome. Peace and goodwill.

I would much rather change the heads on twenty drums than change six guitar strings. New heads are awesome. Peace and goodwill.
I just changed the strings on my G2622 this weekend and I must say that I agree with this sentiment 1000%.

Back