Neil Peart RIP

I had to wait a day before replying . Neil was inspirational , brilliant , humble and had great integrity . All wonderful traits and not stereotypical of many Celebrities. Neil like Ringo became a household name . People with only a minor interest in Music knee who he was . He became a point of comparison for Drummers ( So Si is not as great as Neil Peart).

I loved how strongly Neil protected his privacy and followed his own rules of conduct and decorum . Neil was never controversial or involved in scandals ( yet another reason to admire him ).

Neil never lost the urge to improve his considerable skills . He took lessons with Freddie Gruber and Peter Erskine in his 50’s . Many people would have just rested on their Laurels , but not Neil .

Hopefully some of you have read some of his wonderful books . They are brilliantly written and very entertaining . Yet another reason to admire him .

Neil never forgot his Canadian Roits and was very proud of being a Canadian.

I was proud of Neil being a fellow Canadian and Drummer . He inspired me in ways more than drumming and was such great and reluctant role model . I would have loved to have shook his hand and told him how much he meant to me , but I know it would have just embarrassed him and makes him feel uncomfortable . That would be the last thing I would ever want to do to him .
So instead , I would just like to say I miss you already , there will never be another like you.
It's like I wrote that myself. Exactly what I'd like to say. I've never been affected by a celebrity in any circumstance. But Neil Peart is different. Hes not only in my opinion the best, but a good man. His drumming inspired me at about 14 yrs old, now 44, he inspires me even more. He's the only star I've really been a fan of. Theres many reasons for that.
Thank you and R.I.P. Mr Peart.

Wow, the highest highs and the lowest lows for this legend. What a mind, what a talent....thank you sir and rest in peace. :(........

The first concert I ever saw was Rush's Fly By Night tour, in a hockey arena in North Bay Ontario.

Peart's passing is a bigger deal here in Canada. He was quite a cultural icon, and a member of the Order of Canada. For Canadians of a certain age, many, many good memories are associated with the music of Rush, and Peart's passing brings up all of them.

Thanks for all the music Neil. My playlist is mostly Rush these days and that triplet fill in The Garden before guitar solo brought tear to my eye. Best of the best.

Been shellshocked ever since hearing this.
While I respect an artist's right to privacy, it's a gut-punch to fans when they pass.
The man will be missed.

I will never forget the first time I heard Tom Sawyer on the radio and like many others instantly fell in love with the drums. Thank you Neil for inspiring me and for being such a positive role model. Your massive influence will live on. RIP.

I stared reading 'Ghost Rider: Travels on the Healing Road' over the weekend and I throughly recommend it.

Not only was he an amazing drummer he was also a very good author.

Really enjoying it so far.

I really hoped I would be a much older man when I read this news. We know we will eventually read the obituaries of our musical heroes, but this was really a bolt out of the blue.

Touching tribute from his friend Doane Perry

https://www.facebook...157330470528303

Neil Ellwood Peart - 9/12/52 - 1/7/20

I want to thank all the people who have so kindly written, texted, posted or called regarding Neil's passing. Like so many, this has completely undone me and I haven't quite known where to start. I am working on something more substantial to be posted in the future when things have settled a little for everyone.

During the last three and a half years, Neil faced this brutal, aggressive brain cancer bravely, philosophically and with his customary humor, sometimes light and occasionally dark - all very characteristic of him, even given the serious situation and the odds handed to him at the time of the diagnosis and subsequent surgery. But he fought it. By his own request for privacy, few people knew, but his understandable response to this news in no way excludes or diminishes ALL of those who also knew him, worked with him or loved and admired him from up close, or at a distance. His tenacious approach to life served him well during these last years and although he primarily kept his own counsel, he retained his dignity, compassion, understanding and his deeply inquisitive nature, which never deserted him. Remarkably, considering the severity of his condition (glioblastoma) and through the resulting aftermath, he really had no pain. This was always my first question when I saw him.

“Any pain?” I asked.

“No pain”, came the reply.

What a blessing that was. We were all grateful for that.

For every one of us who loved him, near and far, this is a loss that is difficult and impossible to summarize in a few short paragraphs. The outpouring of love, respect and appreciation from every imaginable quarter for this extraordinary, singular talent and beautiful man with a mind like no one I have ever met, is touching beyond words. To those that had to guard and hold on to this information closely for three and a half years, for obvious and protective reasons; his wife Carrie, daughter Olivia, his loving family, band, colleagues and friends, they have my undying admiration. You know who you are.

Apart from his deeply gifted, genius talent and prolific output, which he brilliantly displayed through music, lyric and prose writing and that staggering storehouse of knowledge across an array of subjects in multiple fields, he remained a kind, gentle, considerate and modest soul and a consummate gentleman… as well as an extraordinary friend. If you were his friend, you knew it and he understood how to be the best friend that you could ever hope to have. I think I speak for all, known and unknown to him, to say he will be deeply missed, eternally loved, appreciated and remembered for his many invaluable contributions to music, art and the written word. That will be forever celebrated.

Despite what he knew and we knew which was inevitable, I believe there is some sense of relief that this long, difficult odyssey has finally ended.

Thank you my dear friend, for passing this way. We are all richer for your presence and light in our lives.

???

Doane Perry - January 16th, 2020

I remember reading in Modern Drummer that very detailed piece (link below) where he describes how he approached the Snakes and Arrows songs and how he carefully and meticulously crafted his parts (Sorry if this was posted elsewhere ) - I think it really shows his love of the instrument.

I read the whole thing again today while listening to the album - I sure miss him

...Neil Peart's 70th birthday.

Happy birthday, wherever you are, Neil. You are still missed, and your absence is still mourned.
Wearing a Rush shirt to honor Neil today. His brother Danny asked people to do this to keep his memory alive. 😊

Attachments

• IMG_20220912_093906_655.jpg
    IMG_20220912_093906_655.jpg
    371.2 KB · Views: 1
RIP Neil Peart, who passed away three years ago today. My life changed when you entered it, and it hasn't been the same since you left.

2020 dawned bright and hopeful. One of my FB memories from New Year's morning was of a beautiful sky, and dozens of birds busy at my feeder, and my comment that the year was looking good.

Then, on the 7th, I was putzing around doing something I've forgotten, when I heard Neil Peart's name mentioned on the news. Just from the tone of the announcer, I knew it wasn't good. My heart froze, thinking he must have been in a motorcycle accident or something.

But no. Brain cancer had taken my first hero (first, besides my grandfather, that is). I had watched my brother-in-law die from the same hateful disease, so I had a pretty good idea of what his last days were like.

I guess 2020 wasn't looking so good after all.

It broke my heart. And just like all the others who were important parts of my life and my identity, those I've loved and who are now gone, that pain never heals. You just learn to go on. To live with those wounds you can't get unwound.

RIP Neil. Those of us whose lives you touched miss your presence in this world every day.

Back