Needing some advice with changing snare wires

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Before you attach the wires, you have to loosen your snare tension knob almost all the way loose, to the point just before it separates. With the snare strainer OFF pull the slack from the straps and secure the straps. Now engage the snares. If the wires are too tight, what I do is, with the snare tension ON, loosen the grosgrain straps a bit, until the tension pulls the straps to where they want to be. It shouldn't be loose anymore. You have to loosen the tension adjustments when switching wires.

Last edited:

Jasperdrummer

Before you attach the wires, you have to loosen your snare tension knob almost all the way loose, to the point just before it separates. With the snare strainer OFF pull the slack from the straps and secure the straps. Now engage the snares. If the wires are too tight, what I do is, with the snare tension ON, loosen the grosgrain straps a bit, until the tension pulls the straps to where they want to be. It shouldn't be loose anymore. You have to loosen the tension adjustments when switching wires.
Yep, I've done all that. Does it matter that the grosgrain is 6mm in width or not? Should it be at least 15mm like the DW plastic straps that came with the wires themselves?

At this point, I'm still thinking it has something to do with how I assembled the throw off when I cleaned the drum out. The screws that attach to the drum itself, I remember in particular one of them could have been slightly loose in order for bolt to slide out of the drum slightly when the tension or strainer was on or off. Maybe that's it? I've got all the screws snug tight inside the drum.

I did contact DW and got a response. They asked for photos which I sent them but I'll give it a few more days until I hear from them again. If anybody has a DW snare that has the mag throw off, let me know what you think is up. I've supplied pictures of it previously on this topic so that might give you a good indication of what's going on?

Maybe it's just me but DW has made it harder for the mag throw off to stay off because for me, it won't stay in the off position when the reso head is up and facing me. It wants to always click back down. Is this a problem in itself? I've taken care of the snare but I've heard people have had to replace them. Sorry guys, I'm pretty uncoordinated with this stuff.

Last edited:

Stroman

Platinum Member
I got the grosgrain ribbon. I was only able to find 6mm in width. So, it's quite thin. I attached them to the snare. Lined the wires up perfectly each end and tightened them. Wires weren't moving which is good. Perfectly stationary. Everything was sounding alright until I turned the strainer off when the snare was flipped over. I look back at the reso head and the see that the snare wire plate on the throw off side has moved over a little and is pretty much completely loose. I know that when you turn the strainer off, the snare wires move off the head, but the plates don't become loose do they? I then turn the strainer back on and the drum starts sounding like it's off even though the wires are tightly touching it. (This is with the tension dial up as well.) At this point it's absolutely driving me insane but maybe I'm better off with something thicker than 6mm?
6mm is waaay too narrow. The ribbon should be nearly as wide as the slot in the snares, otherwise they will shift from side to side, perhaps even droop sideways some when disengaged.

Jasperdrummer

6mm is waaay too narrow. The ribbon should be nearly as wide as the slot in the snares, otherwise they will shift from side to side, perhaps even droop sideways some when disengaged.
Thanks for letting me know. I've ordered 15mm worth which should be thick enough. (The same width as the plastic straps supplied with the wires.) Fingers crossed.

catlover

Never had any problem with mag throw-off and DW plastic straps. It should do the job !
Looking at your pictures, it seems that the black plastic piece around the tension rod is not correctly inserted in the metal plate...
Here's some images of my snare throw-off, hope this help...

IMG_0974.JPGIMG_0973.JPG

Jasperdrummer

Never had any problem with mag throw-off and DW plastic straps. It should do the job !
Looking at your pictures, it seems that the black plastic piece around the tension rod is not correctly inserted in the metal plate...
Here's some images of my snare throw-off, hope this help...

View attachment 94779View attachment 94780
Thanks for that. I really appreciate it. If you can, would you be able to show me what the throw off looks like face on with the strainer off? I did supply a picture like that but just want to double check that the bolts are in the right places.

Justinhub2003

I changed the straps on all my snares to the Canopus belt strap

It’s like a mix of strong and the plastic strap.

catlover

You can't definitly go wrong with throw-off assembly ! It's a pretty simple and robust mechanism.
Check the threaded parts of both tension rod and the "female" part of the upper assembly rod. You should be able to do more than five full turns of the tension rod with no effort.
If all theses parts are in good shape, there is something wrong with the way you attached the snare wires to the throw-off...
Maybe pictures of that point could help...

Jasperdrummer

You can't definitly go wrong with throw-off assembly ! It's a pretty simple and robust mechanism.
Check the threaded parts of both tension rod and the "female" part of the upper assembly rod. You should be able to do more than five full turns of the tension rod with no effort.
If all theses parts are in good shape, there is something wrong with the way you attached the snare wires to the throw-off...
Maybe pictures of that point could help...
Alright man. I feel like an idiot right now but basically, I always thought that the more cranked up the tension dial was on the DW's, the more "snarey" it would sound. I thought this was the case with every snare to be honest. But, from what I was reading the more you crank the tension dial, the more it'll sound like a tom if it's really tight to the point where the snare wires don't have any kind of resonance. You just have to find that in between. So, I think in a nutshell I have fixed the problem.

My question is though, with the 3P Butt Plate adjustment, is it sometimes the case that one of those adjustments will have a little bit of a ring to it and sound more like a tom if you don't adjust the tension dial to the point where all 3 of them sound like a snare? Hopefully you get what I mean by that. This is where I scratch my head a little...

Jasperdrummer

I could be wrong but it seems that Jasper didn't address the possible upside-down issue or send a pic.
The offset bend in the "bracket" at both ends of the snare wires tells me that there is indeed an "up" and a "down". Against the head or not.View attachment 95309
Just an update: I took it to my local store when I was in the area and they said nothing was wrong with it. I was just tensioning the tension dial too tight. So, all good. Thanks for your help, everyone. 👍👍👍

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
The offset bend in the "bracket" at both ends of the snare wires tells me that there is indeed an "up" and a "down". Against the head or not.
For reference, the wires go against the head, the word TAMA should be visible. If the word TAMA is against the head, the wires pull away from the head when under tension.