Need some opinions!!

stevedrum

Hi I am interested in buying a small kit but I am a bit undecided. Which is best the:

DW Mini Pro or Sonor Force 3007 Jungle?
Are there any other kits of this type available?

Hi I am interested in buying a small kit but I am a bit undecided. Which is best the:

DW Mini Pro or Sonor Force 3007 Jungle?
Are there any other kits of this type available?
I liked the sizes of the Sonor better, but that's me. I'd say both companies make a quality though expensive product. Possibly the DW will have a better overall tone due to their expertise in that area. I'll bet they are BOTH cost prohibitive. Too bad, I would like a microkit for rehearsal and micro-gigs. I currently use a Purecussion Headset that I've had for YEARS for rehearsal, but even though it was touted for it's portability, it takes more aggravation to set up than a real kit!!

Remember these?? It's cool, but not much tone. Kinda slappy sounding.
purerimskit80%27s.jpg

I built a kit from buying raw shells and lugs etc from amdrumparts.com. I believe the shells, lugs etc all came to about 800.00, and I went to lowes, got some sandpaper and some minwax colored stain. Now my 8 year old has a great sounding kit, with a 16x16 kit, 7x10 mounted tom, and a 11x14 ft. I just use a 12" pearl piccolo for the snare. Works great and its cheaper then the higher end hip gig, etc. Not to mention it was a blast to build.

If you buy everything at once from AM, they drill it, and edge free, so you can't screw up.

Actually the Sonor Jungle kits are part of their Force Series and are therefore remarkably little money. I'd go with the Sonor, call me biased, but I've heard nothing but great things about these little kits and for the money they just can't be beaten.

The Premier Heritage model mentioned above is worth checking out. I have seen and heard these kits in a few different settings and they are truly impressive.

Yamaha also make some Hip Gigs - 3 models in their line-up, if I recall - and they too have received positive feedback and reviews. I think that GMS also have a few set-ups available.

I recently took delivery of a dw short-stack set. These sound great and I can carry all 3 toms (and a snare drum) in one combo-case and the hardware fits into one bag.The kit has made life easier for me on the "carrying gear" front, and when stage space is at a premium, the smaller "footprint" really helps. (Also convenient for practice sessions.)

If you check this site you'll find quite a bit of info on mini-kits. Try to play as many as you can and decide from there. Good luck with your search.

Back