Need help with choosing my first acoustic drumkit

Mli

Hey, i’m lookin into bying my first acoustic drumkit. I’ve found two used kits and Are wondering which one would be the best buy for the money.

The first one is a pearl export kit (4 piece). The hardware is from different manufacters, including Tama. The kit comes with a dw 5000 doubble kickpedal, sabian solar hihat, a trash crash and a crash from unknown manufacter, a zildjian A custom 8" splash and a ride from pearl.

The other one is a pearl decade maple kit (5 piece) with meinl HCS cymbals.

the decade maple is obviously a better drum kit, and both kits come with relatively cheap cymbals. Though the exports comes with more cymbals and cymbal stands and a better kick pedal.

I consider myself somewhere in between a beginner and an intermediate drummer. I am kinda aiming towards the exports just because it comes with more to play around with/more stuff, and considering my drumming level the better sound quality that the decade maple will deliver is not that important.

the decade maple is a bit pricier than the export kit, but i might be able to get it for a cheaper price though.

timmdrum

Silver Member
Hey, i’m lookin into bying my first acoustic drumkit. I’ve found two used kits and Are wondering which one would be the best buy for the money.

The first one is a pearl export kit (4 piece). The hardware is from different manufacters, including Tama. The kit comes with a dw 5000 doubble kickpedal, sabian solar hihat, a trash crash and a crash from unknown manufacter, a zildjian A custom 8" splash and a ride from pearl.

The other one is a pearl decade maple kit (5 piece) with meinl HCS cymbals.

the decade maple is obviously a better drum kit, and both kits come with relatively cheap cymbals. Though the exports comes with more cymbals and cymbal stands and a better kick pedal.

I consider myself somewhere in between a beginner and an intermediate drummer. I am kinda aiming towards the exports just because it comes with more to play around with/more stuff, and considering my drumming level the better sound quality that the decade maple will deliver is not that important.

the decade maple is a bit pricier than the export kit, but i might be able to get it for a cheaper price though.
It's hard to advise which is the better value because you didn't mention the asking prices. Most of the cymbals are low-end (and that Pearl branded cymbal wasn't made by Pearl), but if the asking prices for each are close, I'd advise getting the Decade kit because it will give you some room to "grow into it"; you won't have to upgrade as soon. (Not that you'd *have* to upgrade the Exports; with good heads and tuning experience, they'd be very serviceable as long as they stay in-round.) That DW pedal is quality, though, as long as it isn't beaten to death. You can log into eBay, search for each kit, the pedal, the Meinl cymbal set, and the splash, check the Completed Listings box, and see what they've all sold for recently. Then, for each set of stuff, add those prices up and see how they compare.

brentcn

Platinum Member
Go with whichever is cheapest, and save your money for good cymbals.

A DW5000 is a nice pedal, bit so is a basic Yamaha. The Pearl pedal that comes with the Export or Decade kits is pretty crap. So factor in another $100 for decent pedal.

Down the road, you can expect to spend $600 to $1000 on a boxed cymbal set.

Mli

Ok, thanks. Just to mention the prices; I can get the exports for about 630$ and the decades goes for 950$, but can probably get it for a lower price.

harryconway

Platinum Member
Ok, thanks. Just to mention the prices; I can get the exports for about 630$ and the decades goes for 950$, but can probably get it for a lower price.
Still ..... whatever money you save between the two, you can put towards getting better hi-hats or a ride cymbal.