Need Help Identifying and Pricing a Ludwig Bop Kit, probably 1972

Bangagong

Hi Drummers,
I need help identifying and pricing a kit of mine. I had it gifted to me by a friend of my dad's about 10 years ago. I've really loved playing it but now I'm just not playing any jazz these days and I'm looking to buy a different kit. Beyond that, here's what I know about it:

- Ludwig Bop Kit, 12, 14, 18, wood finish
- Serial Numbers all between 899xxx and 906xxx, which makes me think it's 1972 based on what I've read.

Questions for ya:
1. What year, or model this would be?
2. What kind of wood are the shells?
3. Has it been rewrapped? I don't think so, but I'm not sure.
4. What would be a fair price to ask for this kit?

Thanks!

Attachments

harryconway

Platinum Member
That's a Jazzette. Walnut cortex. Bass drum should be 18x12. Usually the bass drum hoops are inlaid, so those might have been swapped out .... or special ordered without the inlay. Maple/poplar/maple shell. Looks in good shape.

Plenty of the 20, 12, 14 combo's out there .... but that 18 is rare.

Last vintage Jazzette I saw on eBay sold for $5000. However, it was Natural Maple (which are more rare than the wrapped drums).

Around $3000 would be my guess.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Harry is spot on. Just looked up that kit on my 1975 Ludwig catalog. Best way to see what it’s worth is to put it up for auction on eBay, but charge a flat fee of $300 to ship it within the US. It would be nice if there were agreed-upon prices for vintage drums, but like anything, you get what the market will bear. Rather than sell them, I’d see if I could add a 20x14 bass drum to it - then you’ll have sizes you can use on anything without having to lose such a nice kit!

TJK

Not a fan of the cheezy Formica finish but I bet they sound like butter
Edit: the finish is pretty indestructible and I’m getting more hip to the 72 vibe Brady bunch Mike’s den wall panels look 👀🕺🏻

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
Not walnut cortex, the color and grain and figuring are different, and the walnut cortex is fairly glossy compared to the 'satin' finish on this. It looks like a custom wood veneer on this kit, not something Ludwig would have done at the time. Also not original hoops for the clear maple era.

A pretty kit though!

harryconway

Platinum Member
Not walnut cortex, the color and grain and figuring are different, and the walnut cortex is fairly glossy compared to the 'satin' finish on this. It looks like a custom wood veneer on this kit, not something Ludwig would have done at the time. Also not original hoops for the clear maple era.

A pretty kit though!
Good eyes, Bermuda. Here's a photo of a Walnut Cortex kit. So .... a veneer (essentially re-wrap) on a kit, is gonna de-value it ..... by a lot. Still ..... what a wonderful "players" kit. I'll adjust my value guess to $1500.

Attachments

Bangagong

Good eyes, Bermuda. Here's a photo of a Walnut Cortex kit. So .... a veneer (essentially re-wrap) on a kit, is gonna de-value it ..... by a lot. Still ..... what a wonderful "players" kit. I'll adjust my value guess to $1500.
I assume that value guess is $1500 USD?

So let me reiterate what y'all have said so I'm clear". Is this right?
- Ludwig Jazzette, likely 1972
- Maple/poplar/maple for the shells
- Rewrapped in a custom wood veneer

Thanks for all your help!