Nate Smith

Nate is a great, musical drummer and composer. I really love his playing.

I am not sure why this thread about Nate Smith never got a reply, but everyone who likes to have a lesson on how to lay down a groove on just kick, snare and hihat can take a look here..

And for sure check out all of his other work too..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nvS1th1abc

Nate is new to me. All I can say is Holy Crap man.

My first impression is he's like Steve Jordan on steroids.

Bad to the bone.

Thanks ctdrummer

Here's another:

You want to see some really great 16ths on the hi hat, holy crap man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAi8YcCuVnk&list=RD2nvS1th1abc&start_radio=1

I just started following this guy about a month or 2 ago and I'm hooked. He reminds me a lot of Stephen Ferrone, both have great pockets and a lot of power. He's definitely best known for his solid grooves, but unlike a lot of other groove oriented drummers this guy also has crazy good chops as well and can play some awesome solos. There's a video out there of him dropping his stick during a solo and playing the most amazing 1 handed solo I've ever seen. He's absolutely under the radar and underrated in the drum community. More people need to be talking about this dude!

WOWWW!!! Amazing drummer. Never heard of or listened to, but glad I just did. Thanks for bumping this thread and opening my eyes to this monster

I just started following this guy about a month or 2 ago and I'm hooked. He reminds me a lot of Stephen Ferrone, both have great pockets and a lot of power. He's definitely best known for his solid grooves, but unlike a lot of other groove oriented drummers this guy also has crazy good chops as well and can play some awesome solos. There's a video out there of him dropping his stick during a solo and playing the most amazing 1 handed solo I've ever seen. He's absolutely under the radar and underrated in the drum community. More people need to be talking about this dude!

Oh for sure, if you can crank 16ths like that, you can surely unleash some fury around the kit...I bet his chops are terrifying. Good comparison too

I absolutely love Nate’s playing! I first saw him on the KINFOLK tiny desk concert, and he amazed me. I’ve been following him ever since.

been an acquaintance of Nate for many years ... met him through a mutual friend Chris Potter when they were playing with Dave Holland in the early 2000s sometime ...

wonderful player ... wonderful person ... supreme talent

Oh Im so f$%&ing on that!! I wonder if Clyde was doing a lil of that back in the day. Man he's strong, gotta be to sound like that!

I love his playing. I only discovered him recently.

He's schooling us all on an important lesson - it's all about a great groove. Most people listening to music respond to That way, way more than they respond to all the fills and crashes.

I can listen to Nate play all day. That is some tasty cooking.

Oh man I've always loved Nate's jazz but I've been trying to channel him on Fearless Flyers. He applies some of his jazz moves to this funky stuff. See told y'all been trying/working on my groove and who better than Nate-I kill groove and funk-two birds with one stone LOL.

Last edited:
Back