My wish list, an 8 lug version of a LM402 in 2022

Danakin

In early 2020, before the world went into this pandemic mess, Ludwig introduced 8 lug Black Beauty versions(LB415 and LB414).
Does anyone think they'd do the same for the LM400 and LM402 for NAMM 2022?
An 8 lug LM402 would be my dream snare. I prefer 8 lug snares and would immediately add 1.6mm hoops to open it up like I did when I has an LM402.
Am I alone on this?

While I'm not really in the market for a snare, I really would like an 8 lug 402. I love 8 lug snares.

You are not alone on this.
Glad to have at least one ally :)
I'd happily unload my Acrolite and my Pearl steel shelled snare to help finance an 8 lug LM402.
Actually, I'd ask my local drum shop if one could be had with an internal muffler.

I also prefer 8 lugs, but I think too many Ludwig customers want things to be made exactly the way they were when they or their heroes were young.

I also prefer 8 lugs, but I think too many Ludwig customers want things to be made exactly the way they were when they or their heroes were young.
You might be right. If that's the case, however, it's a potential limiter of innovation. Nostalgia is a powerful marketing tool, especially when your roster includes Bonham, Ringo, Van Halen, and many more I'm no doubt forgetting.

Ludwig offers a 6.5" Acrolite but for some reason they insist on making them with 10 lugs even though the 5" is 8 lugs. It's kind of baffling.

I think Ludwig will offer an 8 lug Supra at some point. They did it with the BB and if those do well, the next logical step would be to do it with the Supra.
I hope your're right. I have an 5x14 8 lug Black Beauty and it's fantastic. I sold my 10 lug Black Beauty to get it and have no regrets; I prefer 8 lug snares.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but wanting an 8-lug version of a 10-lug snare doesn't make sense to me.

Who looks at a snare and says "I want less focus and more overtones!" (Particularly with legendary snares like the Black Beauty and Supra, which have a proven track record of sounding great with 10 lugs.)

There are plenty of snares that sound great with 8 lugs, of course. But the ones that already have 10, sound great because they have 10 lugs.

The tonal effect of 8 vs 10 lugs has never been proven. The idea of focus vs overtones from lug count is assumed but never demonstrated. Claiming the Supra etc sounds great because of 10 lugs is pure imagination.

But even if it was real, loads of people want a snare with more complex tone. Have you never seen a single thread about the tones of different metals or kinds of wood?

For me, I prefer 8 because I can easily get a medium-low tuning without any lugs being loose. More tension distributed per lug.

The tonal effect of 8 vs 10 lugs has never been proven. The idea of focus vs overtones from lug count is assumed but never demonstrated. Claiming the Supra etc sounds great because of 10 lugs is pure imagination.

But even if it was real, loads of people want a snare with more complex tone. Have you never seen a single thread about the tones of different metals or kinds of wood?

For me, I prefer 8 because I can easily get a medium-low tuning without any lugs being loose. More tension distributed per lug.
Your last sentence is exactly why I prefer 8 lug snares. I used to be all about 10 luggers but changed my tune (pun intended) a couple of years ago. Having options is seldom a bad thing.

I have a 6 lug Pioneer, which is essential the jazzfest minus 2 lugs. 6 lugs are weird, it feels different...not necessarily favorable because this snare wants a good tension so a 8 lug would be nice instead.

On the 8 vs 10 reviews I saw, they used a tunebot to match pitch which is not the comparison I want, especially given how flexible black beauties tunings are already. I'd rather match the tension on a tension watch then see where the pitch goes, one would think lower for an 8. This has a feel factor not captured on video. I just got the 8 lug Canopus BB, and it sits lower than any black beauty I've ever heard; less & lighter lugs, and less surface area on the shell but there other variables at hand that I believe are an influence such as no bead and bear edge, probably the wires too.

Of course if Ludwig ends up making a 6.5" x 14" Acrolite, with 8 lugs vs. the current 10 lugs, then I'll buy that up right away.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but wanting an 8-lug version of a 10-lug snare doesn't make sense to me.

Who looks at a snare and says "I want less focus and more overtones!" (Particularly with legendary snares like the Black Beauty and Supra, which have a proven track record of sounding great with 10 lugs.)

There are plenty of snares that sound great with 8 lugs, of course. But the ones that already have 10, sound great because they have 10 lugs.
One of the local shop general managers told me that he doesn’t consider an 8 lug snare drum to be a “real” snare because of the limitations inherent with less tuning control. I don’t agree with that, and believe that there are plenty of amazing sounding 8 lug snares.

However I generally prefer 10 lug snares because more chrome makes anything prettier.

One of the local shop general managers told me that he doesn’t consider an 8 lug snare drum to be a “real” snare because of the limitations inherent with less tuning control. I don’t agree with that, and believe that there are plenty of amazing sounding 8 lug snares.

However I generally prefer 10 lug snares because more chrome makes anything prettier.
Here's an interesting video essay on 8 lug supremacy!
Just kidding about the supremacy, just play what you like. Both 8 and 10 lug snares are excellent and it comes down to personal preference.

One of the local shop general managers told me that he doesn’t consider an 8 lug snare drum to be a “real” snare because of the limitations inherent with less tuning control.
If any shop dude said something that foolish to me, I would literally walk away and pointedly talk to someone else there.

If any shop dude said something that foolish to me, I would literally walk away and pointedly talk to someone else there.
Well, if it makes you feel better I punched him in the gut and while he was doubled over, my knee met his face up close in a somewhat violent manner although I must admit he didn’t bleed enough to require an ambulance or any other medical assistance but definitely got the point. 😵 :ROFLMAO:

My go to guy at the same shop is a guy named Gabriel, he’s an absolute angel and has always been very helpful.
I have ‘my go to guy’ at every store I shop, Gary at Ken Stanton, Jerry at Music Go Round, Paul at Paul’s store…

Back