My thoughts on all these recent pedals

Agreed, but with every new generation after the initial Flying Dragon it seems Yamaha took away something. Still great pedals, but later the flying wings disappeared (no biggie), baseplate narrowed and no longer had the bend in it to help with uneven surfaces. The following model, lost the quick release attachment for a wing nut, beater memory locks and the ability to use the double as two singles. Eventually the strap drive and replacement straps were gone altogether. The latest pedal is stunning looking and well (over) engineered, but for me at least super unresponsive and heavy feeling.

I found the Tama Speed Cobra HP910L to be excellent, but compared to the Yamaha FP-9500C the Tama felt a little rattly and ratty tatty under foot and the footboard had a bit of sideways play and the spring on the side was a bit rattly also. Although the footboard was nice and long, something I’m a fan of due to being a size 11 (UK) I did not like the deep cut-out grooves that run up either edge as I sometimes practice at home in either socks or bare-foot and when playing bare-foot I don’t like the way these two grooves dig into the ball of my foot and shred my foot when doing the ‘slide’ into the peddle technique for double-kicks.

I think the 910L was the old version with the upside down V shape cutout under the heel - which I hate, have it on my 310 HH pedal - but the updated Speed Cobra 910LN with the gold Tama text is flat under the heel and maybe they fixed other issues too, since mine is rock solid, and doesn't have any sideways play or any noise. But I totally hate that V groove on the other one, and was thinking about filling it with epoxy or something... The long grooves on the footboard doesn't bother me much, maybe because my smaller foot covers mostly the middle part. For me it's the perfect pedal.

Agreed, but with every new generation after the initial Flying Dragon it seems Yamaha took away something. Still great pedals, but later the flying wings disappeared (no biggie), baseplate narrowed and no longer had the bend in it to help with uneven surfaces. The following model, lost the quick release attachment for a wing nut, beater memory locks and the ability to use the double as two singles. Eventually the strap drive and replacement straps were gone altogether. The latest pedal is stunning looking and well (over) engineered, but for me at least super unresponsive and heavy feeling.
Mostly yes.

When the 9500 series were released they added the strap in the bag for free, with the chain models.

I have a full double and a half as shown above (that is in the process of being converting completely to single).

That with all the added small (but so needed) functions like the one touch clamp, hoop swivel clamp, making two pedals out of a double within seconds, easy convertable from right to left handed, the collapsible plate, the current sales prices (I got the double for 100 and the single of a double for 70), and the butter smooth feel makes it my #1.

677B3CA9-70E1-4C9F-9237-2C4CCC635A7D.jpeg

Last edited:
I've tried pretty much everything on the market at this point, and every pedal seems to have caveats.

I don't have big feet, so I don't need longboards.

Dyna-Syncs made my left foot lose control, and I do play double kick enough that it's important. At the end of the day I felt kind of numb on them. I guess I'm just not a direct drive player.

DWs have that heel plate. I wish they'd just make a replacement plate that doesn't have all the knobs on it.

Yamahas are generally pretty great, but the FP9's footboard makes a very noticeable metallic clanking sound when you actually play. Sort of like a vibraphone key.

At the end of my soul searching, I sold all my Dyna-Syncs and switched to 9000s. I feel like I play better on them. 5000s with the round cams are my second choice.

I tried the FP9 and liked it, but I came back to my 9500C which is less noisy and more reliable imho.

I've been a DW5000 player for 15 years & have never thought to upgrade. They just do all I want.
I would like to try the DW MDD/MCD pedals just because. I've talked to a few players who've stomped on those and they say they're buttery smooth.
At $1,000 for the double they'd better be. o_O

I run into this feeling when I go to NAMM. You browse the vendor floor & count how many companies are trying to reinvent the wheel. I learned long ago that when I find what works for me, save money and stick with it until you have to upgrade.

I would like to try the DW MDD/MCD pedals just because. I've talked to a few players who've stomped on those and they say they're buttery smooth.
I briefly tried one of the chain versions at NAMM a few years ago, and it was easily the best feeling pedal I've ever played. Too much $$$ for me though. :(

I briefly tried one of the chain versions at NAMM a few years ago, and it was easily the best feeling pedal I've ever played. Too much $$$ for me though. :(
Absolutely!

Excellent review.
I'm a DW5000 guy myself & agree with the cheese grater heel plate and footboard concern. I will say that as a barefoot player, it's not as bad as you think & even better with soled shoes. ;)
I feel the same as you, but the bottoms of my feet aren’t too sensitive and other people’s feet can be. I think a smooth board and heel plate should be an option, no?

Back