My Music City Custom Snare Verdict

Wow flooding in several US states and countries in Europe. It might be time to build an ark. Keeping it drum related how many drum sticks would it take to build an ark? There could be a drum stick shortage and CM have no sticks to play his new snare is what I “reckon”.
I use AHEAD 5Bs. No wood, completely synthetic. I'll still be drumming when Gabriel blows his horn. Maybe he and I can even start a band.

If wood is bent in Taiwan does it make it less quality than if it was bent in America? Steam bent is steam bent regardless of the global location of the bender. I find that most of the talk around origin of manufacture is about nationalism, not end quality. I can say that I work on things built all over the world and IME the American made items have more quality control issues than things built overseas.

Exactly .... Construction alone.. I would take a solid shell made by Pearl in Japan (where they started their solid shells in the 80's but not producing currently afaik ) .. .. or Tama in Japan over Craviotto or Noble.. .. Some here think there is some amazing thing going on in these usa small factories.. but if you had to check 100 shells for tolerences or failures or whatever.. I would bet on the former.

Does not mean I don't like the usa models.. I love them ..

I had a walnut stave made years ago.. walnut is amazing.. although that drum swelled to the point i can't put heads on :( now it's wood with DW hardware laying around :) but walnut is awesome
What happened to your snare? Extended exposure to extreme humidity, perhaps?

I really love the tone of walnut so far -- warm and behaved but with plenty of presence and projection too. It rolls many traits into a single shell.

I can't wait to see and perhaps hear CM's new snare-I'm not above begging for a video. I don't know why I care about tuning range cause I generally dial it in and don't change it. You can ruin a new head going back and forth too many times testing different pitches with an app I found out-it may have been chance but it sure went dead. But still it seems like the hallmark of a great snare is a big range-that to me seems more head choices-but anyways I wanna hear that walnut.
All the Guru Walnuts were just spectacular. Seems I saw a Walnut Renown that caught my interest I seem to recollect at one time-I think it may have been a bop kit??
I had some big table size cross sections of heart of black walnut that were about 6 -8 in think rough cut and 3-4 foot wide (it was a huge tree over a 100 ft tall it may have been wider but I can't remember-it seems bigger in my memory. It was when I was pulp wooding and I recognized the tree and got my "cut" LOL. My Dad, brothers or someone got their grubby hands on them and all I found was about a two foot thin plaque/piece which I think I still have in a box in my garage. I was going to wood burn some art on it.

What happened to your snare? Extended exposure to extreme humidity, perhaps?

I really love the tone of walnut so far -- warm and behaved but with plenty of presence and projection too. It rolls many traits into a single shell.
No idea, i played it for bout a year, then switched to something else, next time i pulled it out i couldn't tune it at all, i pretty much had to use a hammer to get the head off cause it had swollen so much. but it's ok.. this greb snare is never leaving my stand anyway.. unless i get a brass one also:)

I can't wait to see and perhaps hear CM's new snare-I'm not above begging for a video. I don't know why I care about tuning range cause I generally dial it in and don't change it. You can ruin a new head going back and forth too many times testing different pitches with an app I found out-it may have been chance but it sure went dead. But still it seems like the hallmark of a great snare is a big range-that to me seems more head choices-but anyways I wanna hear that walnut.
All the Guru Walnuts were just spectacular. Seems I saw a Walnut Renown that caught my interest I seem to recollect at one time-I think it may have been a bop kit??
I had some big table size cross sections of heart of black walnut that were about 6 -8 in think rough cut and 3-4 foot wide (it was a huge tree over a 100 ft tall it may have been wider but I can't remember-it seems bigger in my memory. It was when I was pulp wooding and I recognized the tree and got my "cut" LOL. My Dad, brothers or someone got their grubby hands on them and all I found was about a two foot thin plaque/piece which I think I still have in a box in my garage. I was going to wood burn some art on it.
I don't have high-quality recording capacity at home, and I won't be in a studio with this snare until next month. If you want a sound sample though, see the demo I posted to a previous thread.

No idea, i played it for bout a year, then switched to something else, next time i pulled it out i couldn't tune it at all, i pretty much had to use a hammer to get the head off cause it had swollen so much. but it's ok.. this greb snare is never leaving my stand anyway.. unless i get a brass one also:)
Crazy. I've never experienced anything like that, but wood can be fickle and prone to fluctuation. My first guess would be moisture exposure, but who knows in this case?

So after a week or so give us your impressions of your buy-maybe post a few picks from your iPhone. Pleaseeeeee! I love a new drum buy-no matter the level of kit it's new for a new buyer and the excitement reminds me of my childhood Xmases. But a special one for a seasoned drummer is always a cosmic moment we can all share-though our dream drum maybe different.

My wife surprised me with my SONOR Artisan snare as an Xmas gift-a friend had a huge wall of snares and I tried a huge number but this one stood out and I talked about it for weeks. It was like it played itself and magical. She paid like $1,300 bucks for the thang but I'm so glad she did. Most would say it ain't worth it but bite me you're just jealous ROFL. Yeah it is extravagant I wouldn't have bought it actually-so I'm a fool in the rain LOL. I saved up for a Guru but some family costs sucked it up-but really I could have bought one and should have pulled the trigger-another regret for the fool in the rain. The moral of the story is "Don't be a fool in the rain"-bring an umbrella we don't want swollen stave snares either-dang that story is a heart breaker.

Stave drums seem to be more prone to shell issues than steambent it seems

So I’m guessing you’re disappointed with this drum . You’re ability to tune is not good and you’re getting frustrated. It happens .
Shoot me a pm and maybe I can help you out.
tuning drums is pretty difficult, a lot ( read most )of drummers can’t do it .
Anxiously awaiting C.M.’s response to this.

9DAA60BE-74A6-48BA-9EDC-C85B1317909F.jpeg

Back