My Last Drum Set?

wildbill

Platinum Member
I exaggerate a bit.
If I walked in the door with your set, she might roll her eyes and make a few comments, but once it's out of sight, it's out of mind.

Edit - oops, I didn't quote DV quick enough - lefty2 snuck in there.
I've seen pics of your kit lefty. It looks good and seems like it'd be a real comfortable fit

Last edited:

Icetech

Gold Member
My Yammy 100th anv. RC's should be my last kit.... unless a set of SQ2's magically falls in my lap :) then.. buh bye yamaha :)

wildbill

Platinum Member
Yeah, I misread the post and thought you moved up to the big sizes, but you went the other way. How do you like the sound and feel of the 20” kick? I had a 20” super classic kick once and it sounded a lot bigger.

OK - I've had some time to mess with it now. Earlier in the thread, I said the bass drum sounded good, but not spectacular.
Well - it sounds almost spectacular to me now.

I was hesitant to say anything right off the bat, but I thought it sounded a little muffled and almost like a dead thump at first.
I thought "Man, my Ludwig bop set bass drum has way more balls than this".

I bought the set used, and knew there was a Shu mount and a mic in it, but posted too quickly - I was excited about getting the set.
Turns out that the previous owner had 2 DW bass drum muffling pads pushed up hard against both the heads.
They have velcro that glues to the inside of the drum to hold them in place.

Besides the mic, the mount and all the rubber attachments for it, about 10 feet of cable and the two muffling pads,
he also had an Emad 2 (10 and 7 mil plies) with a muffle ring in it.

I'm surprised if any air at all made it to the front head. :ROFLMAO:

I must admit that if I was going to use it mic'd up for gigs all the time, it would do a very good job.
There was a good solid thump, with no feedback or ringing, and the mic was well isolated from picking up stray inputs.
I could crank the gain way up without problems.

But for home use, I like a nice, open beefy sound even if it booms a bit.
Not that hydraulic head type thump, thump, thump.

So I removed the muffling pads, and replaced the two ply emad 2 with a single ply emad with no ring.
Wow! - that's what I was expecting! Sounds very, very good indeed.
I may stick the thinnest muffle ring in the single ply emad just to tame it down a little.

I decided to leave the mic and mount in just for grins, even though I probably won't use it much.

If anyone does something similar with the DW pads, to their Ludwigs that have the newer stickers inside,
don't put the glued/sticky part of the velcro over the sticker on the inside of the bass drum.
Taking it off removed a lot of the sticker. :mad:

I thought about doing a review of this set, but there's a lot of people here who know way more about Ludwig drums than I do.
I've had five Ludwig sets, but all but one have been relatively recent models.
No experience with vintage stuff other than a few orphan drums, and a set I had when I was a kid.

It's enough for me just to be happy I have them. I feel like I was in the right place at the right time,
because it's exactly what I was looking for.
They make me want to play more, and they bring a smile to my face every time I see them. (y)

Last edited: