My First Build: Grain and Black Nickel

Old Dog new Cans

6-ply Keller maple shell. 14" x 6 7/8"--Ebayed it. DFD black nickel hoops and "bread box" lugs and t.rods. Drum Foundry RCK snare throw and butt (also black nickel). I WOULD NOT SUGGEST THIS THROW TO ANYONE. It was an absolute PAIN to install. Terry was of no help. But, I eventually got it installed.

This build is far from perfect. I used plastic wood because I decided to change some things last minute, filled the holes I drilled for the throw and butt.

SIX coats of Danish oil (golden oak), 2 coats of wax polish that were basically absorbed entirely--couldn't believe it. And because the polish was not "pasting", I decided to slap on some wipe-on Polyurethane. Finally started to get some type of finish I wanted, 2 coats of poly and some mild scratch pad sanding after.

Remo hazy snare side, Remo smoked Powerstroke 77 Colortone 2-ply.

The pics are horrible. A photographer I'm not. Trying to load more. Too big.

Hi Old Dog. Looks beautiful, I especially like the lugs you picked.

Thanks! I was pleasantly surprised with the lugs. I went for one of the cheaper ones and it worked out great.

Wow so did the Keller shells already have cut bearing edges? You picked out hardware, drilled holes, assembled, and did finish? I could do that (I think)- I need a new hobby LOL. There is always a "learning curve" so do another-you could use this hardware and just do a new shell. You didn't comment on "sound", "tuning range", etc. How long did it take in man hours ya think? Is this a pilot snare for another build? What kind of snare wires "Pures"? Give me a minute I'll think of more questions :p

Glad to hear you like the lugs. I am building a kit myself. Got the shells already. I'm gonna have someone Polyclear them. I've been eyeing those lugs as well, VERY competitively priced.

Glad to hear you like the lugs. I am building a kit myself. Got the shells already. I'm gonna have someone Polyclear them. I've been eyeing those lugs as well, VERY competitively priced.

Make certain to ask for the prep for polyclear. The OP used oil/wax/poly in series, which I'm certain is not advisable despite the minuscule likelihood of it being an actual problem later on.

From polyclear's directions
The surface must be clean and free of oil, dust and any contaminant that may cause weak adhesion or cause fisheyes.

If the surface has already been covered with a sealer, a glaze or a stain, check that these products are mutually compatible by performing a test beforehand.

Wow so did the Keller shells already have cut bearing edges? You picked out hardware, drilled holes, assembled, and did finish? I could do that (I think)- I need a new hobby LOL. There is always a "learning curve" so do another-you could use this hardware and just do a new shell. You didn't comment on "sound", "tuning range", etc. How long did it take in man hours ya think? Is this a pilot snare for another build? What kind of snare wires "Pures"? Give me a minute I'll think of more questions :p

The guy that sold me the shell is a builder as well. He cut round over bearing edges and very small snare beds. Everything I own has a 45 degree edge on it, so I wanted something different. I actually (VERY CAREFULLY) hand filed the snare beds a bit more to my liking. The tuning range hasn't completely been experimented with yet. However, at first, I had it tuned very low. IT SOUNDED FAT! Loved it. But I ended up going for a higher tuning after a bit and it has a very pronounced CRACK! Oh yeah, those are Gibraltar snare wires. I didn't pay $15 for them new. I'm not worried about my mistakes. There are a few lugs that are even a mm or 2 off alignment. But you really can't tell unless you know to look. As far as putting the hardware on another shell. This hardware was ALL 2nd choice. I already have Super hoops, a DW Mag throw and 3 pos. butt plate, wires, heads, Champagne Drum Cito tube lugs and t.rods--ALL CHROME. A 2nd shell is being built this week by Greg up at Champagne Drums for me. I dig this building. I would guess I spent somewhere around 14-18 hours working on it???? Yes, sort of a pilot. The shell was only $50 ish. So, if I did screw up ENTIRELY, I wouldn't be out too awful much. But to be honest, I'm damn happy with it! (y) :cool: Without the gel on the head, it has some serious ringing going on. With the gel, almost has a marching type short "crack" to it. I downloaded free drum maker mats on a website, had them laminated at Office Depot. I picked up a couple carpenter's squares etc. Drilled without a press, that's fun :eek:

I'm digging these lugs Timmy, the more I look at them. 1", no weird measurements to try and remember and see through my reading glasses, lol.

Make certain to ask for the prep for polyclear. The OP used oil/wax/poly in series, which I'm certain is not advisable despite the minuscule likelihood of it being an actual problem later on.

From polyclear's directions

Yes! I got lucky with this finish. I wasn't planning on using the POLY! I wanted a nice satin finish with a bit of sheen. But the shell wood was so dang dry. . .it literally didn't even look like I had applied the wax polish at all. Making wood grain look good, isn't easy. I'm not a carpenter, woodworker. Never have been. I'm a drummer who just decided to build a drum. I wish I had more knowledge and skill base for this work.

Attachments

• RNNN8827 (4).JPG
    RNNN8827 (4).JPG
    750.9 KB · Views: 5
I'm not normally a black nickel hardware fan, but that really contrasts nicely with the natural maple shell.

I agree with you about the pics. Taking them with more lights on in the room would go a long way to helping all of us see the drum. Outdoors would be even better. :)

The hardware, to me, looks more pewter color than "blacK" -but it does contrast well with the natural shell. And thanks for replying to all my questions ;)

I'm not normally a black nickel hardware fan, but that really contrasts nicely with the natural maple shell.

I agree with you about the pics. Taking them with more lights on in the room would go a long way to helping all of us see the drum. Outdoors would be even better.
:)

Yes, I'm bad at pics for sure. I'll try and take some outside today.

The hardware, to me, looks more pewter color than "blacK" -but it does contrast well with the natural shell. And thanks for replying to all my questions ;)

The contrast is what I really dig. I'll be honest, I get tired of chrome.

The color is hard to exactly replicate thru pics and my poor photography. Your welcome

Back