My favorite sticks

Pro-Mark Rebound 5B Oak or Active Grip if it's really hot during a gig. Firegrain also although the oak feels a bit lighter than the Firegrain sticks that I have.

Using Pro Mark classic 7a Firegrains at the moment. Haven’t given them much abuse yet, but they feel pretty sweet in my hands.

I have 2:
Vic Firth STL Thomas Lang model & the ProMark Mike Portnoy model.

The Thomas Lang ones are thick & heavy, but I was amazed how easily I got used to them. I don't have to use a lot of effort for them to make good sound. Plus, the tips are strong & the stick just won't break.
The Portnoy models are lighter, but they're longer & have the nylon tip that I like.

I love Regal Tip, but I can't find ANY local shops that carry those. I have to mess around with sticks to make an informed decision, especially as Regal Tip uses a different numbering system for their different models.

If someone knows sticks that have nylon tips, preferably a reinforced "below the tip part", and maybe a reinforced rimshot area that arent too heavy, please contact me. Oh yeah those would be my favorite sticks if someone could find them. Thanks,

Rob

The ProMark Mike Portnoy models are exactly as you describe. Great for the kind of use you're needing.

I have 2:
Vic Firth STL Thomas Lang model & the ProMark Mike Portnoy model.

The Thomas Lang ones are thick & heavy, but I was amazed how easily I got used to them. I don't have to use a lot of effort for them to make good sound. Plus, the tips are strong & the stick just won't break.
The Portnoy models are lighter, but they're longer & have the nylon tip that I like.

I love Regal Tip, but I can't find ANY local shops that carry those. I have to mess around with sticks to make an informed decision, especially as Regal Tip uses a different numbering system for their different models.
Vic Firth STL and Vater 2B nylon tips for me! :D (y)

RegalTip Calato 5a wood tip. Just like their finish, never slips in my hands.

I've been digging the Promark Rick Latham Groove Sticks lately..

Last Friday i tried the Wincent maple 5B's. Long story short; going to stick to the Vater Sugar Maple 5B's. Feel and sound on the drums is just spot on with these sticks. Found that the Wincent maple 5B's are significantly heavier and also because of the tip i get too much brightness out of my cymbals. Almost feels and sounds like i'm back to hickory sticks again. The Vater sticks also last fairly long compared to the Promark Todd Sucherman sigs i was using before those, so maybe I've finally found the stick hehe.

EDIT: Out of interest i just checked the Thomann site and the TS sig stick is still €15,- a pair, while the Vater (basically the same stick) is €11,- and you even get a discount when you order more. Nice!

Last edited:
I use Vic Firth sticks - always 16" long and always around the 55A diameter as that's the size that fits my hands the best. The tip and taper change depending on the gig. Here are my usual choices:

Jazz, function band, low volume gigs: Peter Erskine Big Band Sticks
Moderate-high volume gigs: Matt Garstka Signature Sticks
Heavy gigs: Charlie Watts Signature Sticks

What is it about Vic Firth sticks that everyone loves so much? I don't think I've ever played with them but geez do they like clean your house and take your dog on a walk? Holy crap! How did I not know that Charlie Watts I have got to be more on point with my technical and specs game. There is so much I don't know. I wish I knew more but when you haven't actually played a drum kit in a really long time you feel like you've fallen behind. I wish I had a kit again and room for one. Also either a sound proof room or a place far enough away that nobody would care. In the first apartment complex I lived in, I had my kit. I would only play during the daylight hours and not passed a certain time. Nevertheless, some old people complained and I had to stop. People don't appreciate quality creative outlets.

Vater 5B (hickory) and ProMark 5A Shira Kashi Oak.

I realized what I like about the Shira Kashi sticks was the weight and size, so got some Vater 5A hickory sticks... Even better for me than the 5B.

Vater 5B (hickory) and ProMark 5A Shira Kashi Oak.

Since decades I'm only using Tama Traditional Japanese Oak 5A and 5B, depending on style and sound.

Back