My 2021 Ludwig BB has 4 marks near edge?

It's on your bearing edge of all places, I'd be pissed. B stock prices are several hundred dollars lower, I'd consider this a cosmetic flaw and that peel will never get better...in fact, may get worst. I'd definitely push for at least a B stock price and that a coated head covered up the flaw for a start. From what I'm scanning, inside defects definitely count.

yeah it's just below the bearing edge but still as you can see in one pic, it's a real blemish to have the plating scraped exposing the raw shell, albeit 1 mm...the drum sounds OK, but should I press the seller shop to return this and get a new one? Or will ALL BB's have this issue it seems?

OR, should I consider getting a NOB joyful noise 6.5x14 or a Manu K. Yamaha NOB? Just wanted a Luddy BB, but maybe it's not worth it?

yeah it's just below the bearing edge but still as you can see in one pic, it's a real blemish to have the plating scraped exposing the raw shell, albeit 1 mm...the drum sounds OK, but should I press the seller shop to return this and get a new one? Or will ALL BB's have this issue it seems?

OR, should I consider getting a NOB joyful noise 6.5x14 or a Manu K. Yamaha NOB? Just wanted a Luddy BB, but maybe it's not worth it?
NOB Joyful Noise all the way!

You heard from some reputable people here that those marks are part of the plating process. What happens if the next drum has them? And then the next one worse than the first two ?

That could happen. Or Ludwig could send you a perfect drum.

If you won’t ever be happy try and send it back. If you can shrug your shoulders and say it’s ok then do that. There’s no right or wrong here.

I can’t help you decide. My preference is for the bronze drums anyway.

OK, I'm keeping it and I'll just dab something over the 2 tiny nicks that expose the raw shell - don't want it to get worse over time, peel or rust

still can't believe Ludwig doesn't have a more PRO approach to ensuring this doesn't occur in the first place, especially at their prices, in my opine...

thanks for all the helpful comments - forum advice is always useful I find.

Last edited:
The marks are common, they're simply a part of the plating process. Chrome-plated Supras have them too; any Ludwig drum with a plating on it has to be suspended and that leaves some marks in the final finish.

That said, I've never seen as many marks or to that severity as what's on the drum here. It absolutely should have been marked as B-stock from the factory, so it could have been sold accordingly. Considering B-stock Black Beauties are available pretty much constantly I think it might be (past) time Ludwig looked into getting a new vendor for their shell plating.

I would talk to the shop you bought it from; it isn't really their fault, but from a customer satisfaction standpoint they did sell you a drum that wasn't A-stock quality even though it was labeled as such. In my mind they should exchange it for a (verified) A-stock drum and take up the issue with the sub-par drum with Ludwig themselves.

One other thing; I doubt the marks will get any worse. Neither brass nor any of the metals used in the plating process can rust, and nickel bonds to brass VERY well. Consider how many engraved Black Beauty drum are out there, some over 100 years old, and other than where the plating was etched off everything else is still stable and holding tight.

The marks are common, they're simply a part of the plating process. Chrome-plated Supras have them too; any Ludwig drum with a plating on it has to be suspended and that leaves some marks in the final finish.

That said, I've never seen as many marks or to that severity as what's on the drum here. It absolutely should have been marked as B-stock from the factory, so it could have been sold accordingly. Considering B-stock Black Beauties are available pretty much constantly I think it might be (past) time Ludwig looked into getting a new vendor for their shell plating.

I would talk to the shop you bought it from; it isn't really their fault, but from a customer satisfaction standpoint they did sell you a drum that wasn't A-stock quality even though it was labeled as such. In my mind they should exchange it for a (verified) A-stock drum and take up the issue with the sub-par drum with Ludwig themselves.

One other thing; I doubt the marks will get any worse. Neither brass nor any of the metals used in the plating process can rust, and nickel bonds to brass VERY well. Consider how many engraved Black Beauty drum are out there, some over 100 years old, and other than where the plating was etched off everything else is still stable and holding tight.

Ludwig said they'd replace it for me (via the drum shop) but would take months and no guarantee it would be much better (what!?)

SO, I'm just gonna keep the one I have - but wondered what to use just to seal the small nick under the inside rim edge that exposes the shell (tiny)...clear nail Polish? or what do you recommend?

Ludwig said they'd replace it for me (via the drum shop) but would take months and no guarantee it would be much better (what!?)

SO, I'm just gonna keep the one I have - but wondered what to use just to seal the small nick under the inside rim edge that exposes the shell (tiny)...clear nail Polish? or what do you recommend?
Can Ludwig send the shop another and then you could check yours against the new one ? Rather than sending yours back and waiting for arrival of the new one ?

B stock rebate should be applied if you just want to keep what you have. They should give recommendations how to care for the scraps from getting worse, may not be possible.

Can Ludwig send the shop another and then you could check yours against the new one ? Rather than sending yours back and waiting for arrival of the new one ?
good thought but we're in different states...plus Ludwig has to inspect my snare first and dissemble the lugs then put those back on the new shell, etc...not an elegant solution...perhaps I'll ask for a B Stock rebate as s1212z said.

Last edited:

I don't think it needs anything. Like I said in my earlier post the plating process between nickel and brass is very stable on its own, and I think adding other substances into the mix would increase the chance of causing problems, not decrease them.

Reactions: jda
have to agree plus when time comes to sell you'll have to disclose you "added" something..
best to leave it "as it came from factory" " those are production marks not uncommon" (I can read the Reverb ad now ; /

Back