Music in education thoughts

TV commercials without music are both rare and hard to watch.

I dont want to get into the political aspect of music vs no music in school. I have too much bias.

I do think that logic and the concept of philosophy should be taught from day 1. We can only build a smarter human if we arm them with the ability to think critically. We dont do this at all.

It’s a travesty especially with all studies indicating positive cognitive outcomes. Sports you can get a concussion or lifelong bodily injuries so can negate benefits. Music is all good- well music is beneficial some music sucks obviously- but so do lots of sports teams LOL.

Music is tremendously valued and commercially exploited, but there's also a broad contempt for art and artists in US society.

I don't think anyone believe education is improved by removing music, there are just political elements that don't want to pay for any public services, and believes public schools should exist, so music is an easy target for elimination.

don't even get me started....says the band director in a Catholic school...

I don't think anyone takes away music from any school program in order to "improve it" but if budget constraints start to bite, music is always the first thing on the chopping block unfortunately.

Besides learning a musical instrument, music history is wonderful because it also parallels history and various cultures and their contributions. You see music in a greater context - like reading Gulliver’s travels it’s deeper that it appears.

my biggest complaint is when arts programs are cut for more administrative jobs to "figure out the problem with education"....

"let's form a committee".....<---usually means the death of education

my biggest complaint is when arts programs are cut for more administrative jobs to "figure out the problem with education"....

"let's form a committee".....<---usually means the death of education
Great theory but - having come from a family of over a dozen educators from teachers through district superintendents with experience spanning decades, your “biggest complaint” is something I have literally never heard of happening.

Great theory but - having come from a family of over a dozen educators from teachers through district superintendents with experience spanning decades, your “biggest complaint” is something I have literally never heard of happening.

well, it happened at my school 3 times in the past 10 years, and my job was one that was almost cut, and then "reinstated" after much disapproval from parents and alums...I was lucky. We had 4 on staff for the band program, now we have 2.

Well, it's been a common theme because of lower grades in math and Norwegian etc.. to increase the amount of lessons in those subjects and take those from anything artistic in nature.

For any good teacher it's also obvious that it's not the amount of lessons but the quality that's the problem. Explaining that to idiots in politics and leadership is a different matter though and it wouldn't matter if they understood because they can't score their regular cheap points, that the majority of people seen stupid enough to belive, that way.

Well, it's been a common theme because of lower grades in math and Norwegian etc.. to increase the amount of lessons in those subjects and take those from anything artistic in nature.

yep..the whole mentality that math and science only defines a societies success: 😑

and I have nothing against math and science....but they are only 2 of the many colors needed for a fully developed education spectrum

For any good teacher it's also obvious that it's not the amount of lessons but the quality that's the problem. Explaining that to idiots in politics and leadership is a different matter ....

absolutely. And those people "running the ship" are not really worried about the education of students, but in the bottom line. We can talk till we are blue in the face about quality; about building and infrastructure roadblocks; about too much bureaucratic bull crap that gets in the way of true teaching...but it doesn't matter in the end as long as the proper people are making the proper amounts of money.

We have our teacher meetings this week for school, and it is 24 hours of "blah, blah, blah" that has nothing to do with making the education experience better FOR THE KIDS...it is just a lot of paper work and busy work intended to avoid lawsuits....bruh

TV commercials without music are both rare and hard to watch.
I find music in commercials distracting sometimes startling when I don't want startled or annoyed

This one being especially bad

and would much prefer just a Spoken word.
There's another one that uses an Old Spiritual which I find - just feel it's disrespectful- to be selling some product or service.
I immediately Mute it. I emotionally have to.

Anything combining Ukulele (sorry ukulelists) with bowel movement for me is Out.

Last edited:
As far as Music in Schools the High School is right below me I'm above it on a Hill behind it. The Band practices just about every day in the summer and on good school days/ months .....Outside in the schools huge parking lot and I can hear the drummers.. Clear as a Bell. for over 50 years

For example most kids in Poland haven't the ability to perform Chopin but they sure know who he was and can identify his major compositions . In this way people acquire an appreciation and pride in their cultural traditions f rom an early age .

How many think that produce comes from a grocery store ? Kids should be required to spend a couple weeks on a farm as prerequisite to graduation ..... maybe basic auto and home appliance repair too , regardless of their academic direction .

Back