Most Underrated Snare Drums

My 5x14 Pearl Sensitone Premium Maple surprised me. It's probably the best value I've ever had. Excellent hardware, build, tone, everything. And very affordable. A fantastic drum.

/Magnus

Attachments

• Badgecompr.jpg
    Badgecompr.jpg
    385.8 KB · Views: 9
My 5x14 Pearl Sensitone Premium Maple surprised me. It's probably the best value I've ever had. Excellent hardware, build, tone, everything. And very affordable. A fantastic drum.

/Magnus

I don't think that I've ever played a Sensitone snare that I didn't like. The Premium Maple and Elite Bronze were particularly standouts to me. They are definitely unsung heroes of the snare drum world.

Outlaw Drums, out of Georgia, USA. They’ve been around for a while but are still largely making drums for custom orders. These fellas are doing some amazing things with wood, sometimes using woods not known for drum construction, sometimes building drums from reclaimed lumber harvested from demolished barns, old gymnasium benches, etc. They’re making two drums for me and have kept me updated during the builds. These guys are as passionate about making their snares as their customers are about playing them.

Last edited:
I really like the Mapex MPX and Armory snares I have played. Peace and goodwill.

I have had a Premier 2000 aluminum snare laying about for a couple of years and yesterday I finally decided to bring it to a rehearsal, only because I was too lazy to get my usual snare; the Premier was already in a bag. It is a really good snare drum with a nice snare sound all the way from the centre of the drum to the rim. Great drum for $100!

Outlaw Drums, out of Georgia, USA. They’ve been around for a while but are still largely making drums for custom orders. These fellas are doing some amazing things with wood, sometimes using woods not known for drum construction, sometimes building drums from reclaimed lumber harvested from demolished barns, old gymnasium benches, etc. They’re making two drums for me and have kept me updated during the builds. These guys are as passionate about making their snares as their customers are about playing them.
What drums did you order? I have a segmented heart pine on order and can’t wait to get it. Should be finished soon.

The mapex metal piccolo snares! Depending on current sale prices on GC/MF you can get a 13 or 14" steel shell piccolo for anywhere from $30-$50, new heads for another $20-$30 (depending on choice), and new wires for around $20... Now you've got a drum that sounds and feels like many high end steel shell snares for under $100 new.

I have had a Premier 2000 aluminum snare laying about for a couple of years and yesterday I finally decided to bring it to a rehearsal, only because I was too lazy to get my usual snare; the Premier was already in a bag. It is a really good snare drum with a nice snare sound all the way from the centre of the drum to the rim. Great drum for $100!
I'm picking one up for $100 too. Now waiting for the international shipping (the same cost as the drum itself lol). ?

My 1981 COS Premier (slightly modified) is the workhorse. Awesome drum for 50 bucks. Haven’t played another COS that comes close.

Edit - below is the slightly modified part.

IMG_5306.jpgIMG_5307.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
According to this video, the Tama Silverstar snare may be underrated? It sounds pretty darn good in the video. Can anyone else corroborate this?

According to this video, the Tama Silverstar snare may be underrated? It sounds pretty darn good in the video. Can anyone else corroborate this?

I had a Tama 12x5 silverstar birch snare drum, stock it was very snappy and responsive but a little thin and flat. I swapped the stock 1.6mm tf hoops for 2.3mm hd tf hoops, Tama wires for puresound blasters, Evans 3 mil snare side, and either a coated g12 or calftone batter (depending on engagement... Most of the time calftone, 'rock' not jazz) and that drum came alive! Dramatic increase in volume potential as well as overall dynamic range, best cross stick sound for a 12" I've ever had, ear splitting rim shots, and a noticeable increase in the "sweet spot" of the 12" drum making it much more versatile as a primary drum. So stock: great drum especially for practice, back up, or side snare. Upgraded hardware and heads: an impressively versatile and functional main drum.

Last edited:
I had a Tama 12x5 silverstar birch snare drum, stock it was very snappy and responsive but a little thin and flat. I swapped the stock 1.6mm tf hoops for 2.3mm hd tf hoops, Tama wires for puresound blasters, Evans 3 mil snare side, and either a coated g12 or calftone batter (depending on engagement... Most of the time calftone, 'rock' not jazz) and that drum came alive! Dramatic increase in volume potential as well as overall dynamic range, best cross stick sound for a 12" I've ever had, ear splitting rim shots, and a noticeable increase in the "sweet spot" of the 12" drum making it much more versatile as a primary drum. So stock: great drum especially for practice, back up, or side snare. Upgraded hardware and heads: an impressively versatile and functional main drum.
You're right, this 12x5" Silverstar sounds pretty darn good for what it is, even without the upgrades. It has a nice open metallic ring for a wood snare. Nice lows and upper-end crack. New heads, wires and possibly hoops could make this a killer little snare.

Tama SLP Aluminum

The whole line of SLP snares seems to be a really good value. Everyone I’ve come across seems to sound really good.

One snare i think is underrated would be the older Mapex Saturn snares. Not sure if Mapex even currently makes a snare in their Saturn series but the older ones can be found pretty cheap and they sound really good. I have one from my old Saturn kit and it’s on my never sell list.

Ludwig Classic Maple, as some others have mentioned. I’m partial to 14x6.5. Can be had for a reasonable price used.

Back