More Guitar Flakiness

I received a text early Monday morning from a guitarist I know. It had an "I'm sorry I dumped you and want you back" vibe to it. I tried to work with the guy like 6-8 months ago. It didn't go well. He had a bunch of stuff written already, in really weird time signatures, and didn't give me a chance to learn any of it. After the jam he was supposed to send me stuff to learn, but didn't. So Mondays text surprised me.

I text him back the next day, told him no hard feelings, and would be happy to try and work together again. I still haven't heard back from him.

I'm not sure what to do at this point. Do I contact him again? Do I write it off and just assume there will be more flakiness in the future? I like the guy. He's a good guitar player. We both like extreme metal. There aren't many people in this area to work with, but I can't put up with nonsense. I'm not looking for a headache.

What would y'all do?

Give it a 2nd chance since you admitted that good players are scarce down there where you are in Arkansas.

The minute you get a bad feeling...you have more power this time. You might be able to negotiate. Or not. Give it a chance.

You can't have bands without headaches.

Can you speak intelligently about where the "W" sound comes from in the word Arkansas? Why do they say it like that? Why isn't it pronounced like it's spelled?

Give it a 2nd chance since you admitted that good players are scarce down there where you are in Arkansas.

The minute you get a bad feeling...you have more power this time. You might be able to negotiate. Or not. Give it a chance.

You can't have bands without headaches.

Can you speak intelligently about where the "W" sound comes from in the word Arkansas? Why do they say it like that? Why isn't it pronounced like it's spelled?

I think you are right. My pickings are slim here. I should look at it like that. I might not find anyone else.

As for the W sound, I have no idea. Maybe the southern drawl has something to do with it. Our dialect here is interesting. Oil is pronounced awl. I had a bit of a struggle at first when we moved here in 91. The nomenclature and pronunciations are a bit different.

Maybe comes from a Native American word and its authentic pronunciation? Ima google it, sorry I just latched onto the W thing.

Found this:
Arkansas was named for the French plural of a Native American tribe, while Kansas is the English spelling of a similar one. Since the letter "s" at the end of French words is usually silent, we pronounce Bill Clinton's home state "Arkansaw." ... It's the English spelling though, so naturally, we pronounce the final "s."

I think you have to set expectations from the get go, if both of you are in agreement then give a chance, if the flakiness continues then it will be your sign to move on...

Back