Modern head on 26" or 28" kick?

microkit

I'm thinking of what I'd like for my next kit, and I can't seem to hear any demos of an Emad (or anything similar, doesn't have to be an Emad) on a big kick. Does anyone play, or has anyone heard, such a thing? I feel like everything I've seen/heard with a 26 or bigger is setup like Bonham, with a Fiberskyn, black dot, etc.

Who makes a 28-inch bass drum?

They're out there. I know you can still get them from Ludwig and Pearl (of all makers). I had an old 1930s Leedy kit with a 28" bass drum and Pro Drum in Hollywood actually had TWO PowerStroke 3 heads in stock for it (along with the 11" inch heads I needed for the one rack tom). That drum made my 26" sound "dinky".

Who makes a 28-inch bass drum?

All of the major manufacturers do, I think. Whether or not your local music store has them in stock is another question, but they should be able to order them, no problem.

I've got a Powerstroke 3 and Aquarian Regulator reso head on one of my 28" bass drums. It doesn't sound that good. What sounds GREAT is my other drum with smooth Ambassadors on both sides with felt strips!

I feel like everything I've seen/heard with a 26 or bigger is setup like Bonham, with a Fiberskyn, black dot, etc.
Right now, I'm running a Super Kick I batter, with a Fiberskyn 2 reso. (on a 3 ply Luddy 26x14).​

Back