Modern Equivalent of an Evans Looking Glass

I thought the clear hydraulics were referred to colloquially as "glass" :unsure:
Sounds like a dead thud to me. Especially with a hyd reso.

I thought the clear hydraulics were referred to colloquially as "glass" :unsure:
Sounds like a dead thud to me. Especially with a hyd reso.
No, the looking glass heads were a two-ply head with silver mirror-like film and no oil. I used to use them, and they sounded quite different from the hydraulics. In fact, they sounded unlike any other head I've tried, and had a resin flesh hoop with no metal. I remember they creaked a little as you were tuning them up. Not a cracking sound, but a soft creak.

As for a modern equivalent, I have no good suggestions because I haven't tried any new heads that are similar. The closest I have heard, though, are the ebony emperors. Not the same, by any stretch, but they capture some similarities.

Last edited:
I still wanna know how the sound achieved isn't just a dead thud with that head combination. Seems to me that would kill any and all tone and sustain.
Disclaimer: I am not a Rush fan and am not familiar with the sound the OP is seeking.

I still wanna know how the sound achieved isn't just a dead thud with that head combination. Seems to me that would kill any and all tone and sustain.
Disclaimer: I am not a Rush fan and am not familiar with the sound the OP is seeking.
Actually, hydraulics can have a reasonable amount of sustain when used on a two-headed drum. Not like an Ambassador, of course, but they're not that dead.

Actually, hydraulics can have a reasonable amount of sustain when used on a two-headed drum. Not like an Ambassador, of course, but they're not that dead.
To me these heads sound like thick calf heads used on traditional Chinese drums when tuned up. They don't like to be tuned low IME. And they make the snare drum crack LOUD!

Remo Starfire Chrome would be what you are after. They also make a Starfire Gold as well.

I have a blue hydraulic snare head on a 14x10 Pearl Modern Utility Floor Snare and it has quite a bit of sustain. It might actually have more than my toms which have UV1 on top and clear G1 on the bottom.

Back