Moderate Volume Reduction for Drum Set?

Status
Not open for further replies.

surfer61387

Hi Everyone

I'm wondering if anybody has a recommendation on drum mufflers/volume reducers that provide a moderate reduction in volume?

I've used Evans Sound Off pads before, but they kill about 95% of sound, and I'm looking for something that might reduce about 40-50% of sound. I don't need to be silent, but also the full volume is going to make my neighbors kill me!

There are lots of products out there, and I would love if anybody would recommend anything based on my desired volume reduction.

Thank you!
Brady

Hi Everyone

I'm wondering if anybody has a recommendation on drum mufflers/volume reducers that provide a moderate reduction in volume?

I've used Evans Sound Off pads before, but they kill about 95% of sound, and I'm looking for something that might reduce about 40-50% of sound. I don't need to be silent, but also the full volume is going to make my neighbors kill me!

There are lots of products out there, and I would love if anybody would recommend anything based on my desired volume reduction.

Thank you!
Brady

Most of the silencer pad sets claim an 80%+ volume reduction. Maybe lighter sticks, hydraulic heads on the toms and snare - and lots of blankets/pillows in the kick may achieve this reduction.

Most sound reduction systems are an attempt to reduce the sound as much as possible - I doubt if anyone would develop a product which will still leave enough volume to potentially piss off neighbours/apartment dwellers.

Maybe leave everything as it is and just use cool rods and a bit of tape to calm down your ride and crashes if needed?

Hit a superstore, go to the automotive department, grab a 10-pack of terrycloth towels for $10.

They'll reduce the volume a bit, improve your technique by reducing rebound, and can also be used to clean your dusty drum set. The other side effect is that they change the tone in a usable way (Ringo used them for a number of recordings).

I also agree with the above... Learn to play quietly.

i have vic firth mufflers for total quiet. try shirts, rags, towels, or drawer liner cloths, those tarry cloths maybe, those rubber mats with holes for drawers are good, also good for bass drum muffle.

i agree to the 'learn to play quieter'. my first teacher was big on this. how do you do this? get a good jazz teacher and learn jazz.

Use this opportunity to learn how to play quieter. Seriously.

This is the hardest therefore the best route to go. The best thing to do is usually the hardest thing to do. Don't rely on external crap to control yourself. YOU are the volume control. YOU control the horizontal, the vertical. You can make it a dull blur, or sharpen it to crystal clarity....oh sorry, I had an Outer Limits moment there.

But yea, great opp to develop a serious skill. Believe it or not, the drum part will sound just as good if not better after you get used to playing with half velocity, or however you go about it. Be the master of YOUR volume control. If you transfer it to the stage, the others might follow suit.

HAHAHAHAHAHA JK lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back