Micing my rack toms and floor tom

Tony I

I want to mic my 10, 12, & 14 toms. My bass drum is powerful and loud enough on it's own. My toms do not cut thru during live gigs! I own JBL Eons Powered 15's but Im told they can not handle drums? What budget options can you suggest? I will add the venues we play are small to medium sized bar/restaurants. Yes, the other guys play loud! I have a 4 channel Allen & Heath board and a 12 inch powered sub available to me!

doggyd69b

If your budget (and your back) allows it, I suggest getting a powered 15 or 18 sub , then connect your 15 and the sub to your mixer and you should be set.

caddywumpus

Platinum Member
I would suggest using an overhead, or an overhead pair, to capture your toms/cymbals/full setup. Close miking just the toms, but not the kick drum, would sound weird.

Are the JBL Eon Powered 15s the light grey generation 1 speakers, or are they the dark grey/black G2s? The G2 models can certainly handle drums, but you might have issues with the significantly underpowered generation 1 speakers, if that’s what you have.

Tony I

I would suggest using an overhead, or an overhead pair, to capture your toms/cymbals/full setup. Close miking just the toms, but not the kick drum, would sound weird.

Are the JBL Eon Powered 15s the light grey generation 1 speakers, or are they the dark grey/black G2s? The G2 models can certainly handle drums, but you might have issues with the significantly underpowered generation 1 speakers, if that’s what you have.
They are Black but good doesn't sound familiar? I believe they are 1200 watts?

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
The whole “powered” speaker thing is false economy. I think the whole thing is a compromise because it’s all in one box. But then now the boxes are unnecessarily heavy. It’s much easier dealing with, for instance, one of those Powerlight amplifiers ( by QSC) and a speaker cabinet. My amp is roughly 22 pounds, and the 18” sub it powers is about 50 pounds. Much easier for one guy to handle instead of a cabinet that weights 150 pounds. And then when the amp or a speaker blows, the whole thing doesn’t have to go to the shop. There’s something to be said still for modular systems.

doggyd69b

The whole “powered” speaker thing is false economy. I think the whole thing is a compromise because it’s all in one box. But then now the boxes are unnecessarily heavy. It’s much easier dealing with, for instance, one of those Powerlight amplifiers ( by QSC) and a speaker cabinet. My amp is roughly 22 pounds, and the 18” sub it powers is about 50 pounds. Much easier for one guy to handle instead of a cabinet that weights 150 pounds. And then when the amp or a speaker blows, the whole thing doesn’t have to go to the shop. There’s something to be said still for modular systems.
I agree and usually much cheaper to go that route, however, sometimes the drummer might only get one outlet on stage, so with that you have to power your speaker amp, your mixer, and perhaps an extra device... I guess I need to work on making my portable setup as light as possible.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
I agree and usually much cheaper to go that route, however, sometimes the drummer might only get one outlet on stage, so with that you have to power your speaker amp, your mixer, and perhaps an extra device... I guess I need to work on making my portable setup as light as possible.
It’s not a crime to own a power strip or two 😉

doggyd69b

It’s not a crime to own a power strip or two 😉
I do and I carry them with me when I gig but I have experienced overloaded circuits and blown fuses before... I guess what I mean is that for a power amp of that caliber I would rather have a dedicated outlet and not share that with other power hungry devices...