Metal appreciation thread

JJKK

Post your favorite metal drummers, hopefully with video!

The amount of precision, stamina and feel this sort of music requires on the drums is astounding. Let's appreciate the music a bit in this thread.

The venerable Shannon Lucas will kick things off. :beers up:

I'm a proper metalhead and I tell you what, there is no shortage of incredible drumming talent at the moment.

A couple of my favourites are;

Alex Rudinger who is actually filling in for Whitechapel at the moment:

Chris Turner of Oceans Ate Alaska:

Ali Richardson of Bleed From Within:

There really is too many to mention though lol.

It's a genre I've never really followed though I love energetic high octane music and this sure fits the bill. So since I don't know any metal drummers, well then MrInsanePollack is my favorite metal drummer ;) (you when by default so don't let it go to your head). ) I've worked on about every genre but metal so I really should investigate and try to expand my horizons and try my hand at metal. Drag out my double pedal and try, try again. I have to admit I envy that double pedal fluidity.

It's a genre I've never really followed though I love energetic high octane music and this sure fits the bill. So since I don't know any metal drummers, well then MrInsanePollack is my favorite metal drummer ;) (you when by default so don't let it go to your head). ) I've worked on about every genre but metal so I really should investigate and try to expand my horizons and try my hand at metal. Drag out my double pedal and try, try again. I have to admit I envy that double pedal fluidity.

Here ya go Art. No video, but it's me. See, you do know a metal drummer!

And no metal drummer thread would be complete without Flo Mounier of Cryptopsy.

Here ya go Art. No video, but it's me. See, you do know a metal drummer!

And no metal drummer thread would be complete without Flo Mounier of Cryptopsy.

MrInsanePolack you sound fantastic (was that your old band?) and the second one is sick. I recently pulled out my double pedal out and tried again (actually making some progress because I'd been doing exercises between bass and hats) but it sounds like crap with my 24 in kick. I seem to remember you now use a 16 in kick (did I make that up in my mind?). Is that a double pedal or two 16 in kicks?If true I may use my 16 in Safari kick solely for double-make me a workstation. Don't know if I'll play metal but I can use the same elements to play other music. I note Nate Smith plays lots of his jazz moves with the funky Fearless Flyers.

MrInsanePolack you sound fantastic (was that your old band?) and the second one is sick. I recently pulled out my double pedal out and tried again (actually making some progress because I'd been doing exercises between bass and hats) but it sounds like crap with my 24 in kick. I seem to remember you now use a 16 in kick (did I make that up in my mind?). Is that a double pedal or two 16 in kicks?If true I may use my 16 in Safari kick solely for double-make me a workstation. Don't know if I'll play metal but I can use the same elements to play other music. I note Nate Smith plays lots of his jazz moves with the funky Fearless Flyers.

Thank you sir! That was my old band. It still exists, they are now on drummer #3.

The kicks were two 22x22. They were triggered for recording. Yes I now use a single 16x14. It goes much faster with less effort and sounds much cleaner at speed.

Do it! There is something gratifying ( to me anyhow) when both feet are running and the whole room sounds like a tractor.

Post your favorite metal drummers, hopefully with video!

The amount of precision, stamina and feel this sort of music requires on the drums is astounding. Let's appreciate the music a bit in this thread.

The venerable Shannon Lucas will kick things off. :beers up:

I've tried for years and years to play like that I don't think it's ever going to happen lol. Freaking old people anyway

Love Benante ^^^^

Great thread ??. Sooooo many to choose from . Glad you said favorites and not best , and hopefully it doesn’t devolve into a better or best and stays metal drumming appreciation ??. This guy right here is one of my all time favorites . Always love watching him play ?.

Last edited:
Love Benante ^^^^

Great thread ??. Sooooo many to choose from . Glad you said favorites and not best , and hopefully it doesn’t devolve into a better or best and stays metal drumming appreciation ??. This guy right here is one of my all time favorites . Always love watching him play ?.

OMG, can't believe you like THAT guy- he sux! :p
Kidding of course, just because we're metal-heads doesn't mean we can't have a civil discussion (this isn't Blabbermouth after all)! ?

I'm not a fan of this stuff but even so, the dexterity and stamina of these guys is unbelievable !! ? Got to admire the hours they must have put in to get up to those speeds ! ?

Great grooves and really creative playing on a very different set up. Vlad Ulasevich from Jinjer.

This record is just on a whole nother level-3 different drummers (sometimes all 3 on the same song) This is the last part of a 23 minute song with Anup Sastry throwing down some symphonic djent prog goodness.

Last edited:
Back