Meeting Uncle Larry

bsmntdrummer

Although I rarely post, I've been a lurker here for a while. I live in the greater Philly area, so when I thought I needed an electrician to help with my basement remodel, I reached out to our very own @larryace. I've always appreciated his thoughtful, encouraging posts, and he just comes across as a genuinely good guy. Well, having now met him, I can tell you that he really IS a good guy, and I just want to give him a shout out.

Larry drove out to my house this past Saturday to assess my electrical issue and give me a quote. I felt a little like I was meeting someone famous; although he has no idea who I am, I feel like I "know" him through is posts. Thankfully, Larry is just as gracious and courteous in person as he is online, and he put me at ease right away.

While he could have talked me into something that would have cost a pretty penny, Larry showed me that the solution to my issue is something much simpler than I thought, and something I'm comfortable doing on my own. He wouldn't let me pay him a "consulting" fee, so he basically gave up a good chunk of his Saturday with no financial return. Not only that, he gave me a tip to make sure I bought the right materials for the job AFTER I told him I didn't need to hire him!

There is a lot of negativity going around these days, but there also a lot of good people, and Larry's one of them. Larry, it was a pleasure meeting you, and next time it will be about drums!

You can't buy integrity. You either have it or you don't.

Although I rarely post, I've been a lurker here for a while. I live in the greater Philly area, so when I thought I needed an electrician to help with my basement remodel, I reached out to our very own @larryace. I've always appreciated his thoughtful, encouraging posts, and he just comes across as a genuinely good guy. Well, having now met him, I can tell you that he really IS a good guy, and I just want to give him a shout out.

Larry drove out to my house this past Saturday to assess my electrical issue and give me a quote. I felt a little like I was meeting someone famous; although he has no idea who I am, I feel like I "know" him through is posts. Thankfully, Larry is just as gracious and courteous in person as he is online, and he put me at ease right away.

While he could have talked me into something that would have cost a pretty penny, Larry showed me that the solution to my issue is something much simpler than I thought, and something I'm comfortable doing on my own. He wouldn't let me pay him a "consulting" fee, so he basically gave up a good chunk of his Saturday with no financial return. Not only that, he gave me a tip to make sure I bought the right materials for the job AFTER I told him I didn't need to hire him!

There is a lot of negativity going around these days, but there also a lot of good people, and Larry's one of them. Larry, it was a pleasure meeting you, and next time it will be about drums!
Did you make sure your drums were visible to jumpstart the conversation?

The level of awesomeness of Uncle Larry is really beyond words and this earthly realm. I’m
not surprised one bit by your experience. Did he give you a ride to check out the Mars Rover?

Nice shout out!

Larry, you are one of a kind!

Thanks for posting, good , decent and kind people need to be acknowledged. Larry is obviously one of those.

Not the first time he has gotten positive feed back on an inperson visit. The reason he is our Uncle.

Last edited:
Can he replace blinds in enclosed Pella bump out windows?. My fiance wants to call Pella..i told her there are people who can do as well without the Pella to the rescue price.

Well it's clear that I've got you guys completely snowed :p

Thanks for the kind words Mike

Full disclosure: This was his agreed upon payment for the consult :)

Back