May be getting some Renowns - Which ones are these?

That's a rock solid kit - is this someone you know selling these? I'd pick them up if they had a bass drum tom mount - I hate, hate this whole lack of hardware of the bass drum thing - especially for kits with two rack toms.

I'd also be curious on price and shipping.

PM sent.

UPDATE: I set them up at my house and played them for a few minutes. While I think they sound really good, they really don't "speak" to me the way my Pork Pie kit and my Ludwig Classic Maple kit do. I mean they would do great in just about any playing situation, and I'm sure whoever buys these will love them. However, they are just not for me. I'm very spoiled at this point, and a drum set has to really "wow" me to get my attention. These fell just a little short, but they probably won't to whoever ends up with them. Also, I'm the first to admit that my ears are garbage too.
It's too bad they don't speak to you. They definitely speak to me (I own two Renown kits)—especially when I see Vinnie playing them.

Looks like the exact same Renown kit, albeit in slightly different sizes. BTW, what didn't you like about the Renowns?

It's too bad they don't speak to you. They definitely speak to me (I own two Renown kits)—especially when I see Vinnie playing them.

Yup, a lot of amazing guitar players make their living playing a Martin D28 while I think that they sound like an absolute dud in my hands.

Looks like the exact same Renown kit, albeit in slightly different sizes. BTW, what didn't you like about the Renowns?

While I was getting a pretty good deal on them, it wasn't exactly a steal. I'm not really sure if I'm going to need that many pieces or not for a while either. It simply wasn't the right time or place.

I bet Vinnie doesn't need to lug them around.

I bet Vinnie doesn't need to lug them around.
Oh, definitely not. In fact, I'm sure that Renown was a rental from a backline company like SIR. And you're right, Renowns are pretty damn heavy. But I'm okay with it, because I love how they sound. If I ever get sick of lugging these heavy tubs around, I have my eyes set on some Tour Customs, which are way lighter.

I use dollies and / or a hand truck. I'm not carrying that stuff anywhere. So, it doesn't matter to me what they weigh.

I remember when the regulations went into place requiring second-floor nightclubs to install ramps (or elevators). In 95', I could have named a dozen clubs that only provided stairs. Valentines in Albany, Metronome and Toast in Burlington, upstairs stage in the Elvis Room, etc.

It must be nice living in the future.

I can only think of two venues last year with steps, and they were just three treads or so. One restaurant has an enormous ramp - so easy!

Hopefully they'll make through this covid mess.

For gigging, I have an INDe kit and the Yamaha Cross town hardware. My setup is so light, I almost need to tie it down to prevent it from floating away. ;)

Lol..In the past I've been concerned about wind at some outdoor shows, but the titan stands and renown are probably good to 45mph.!
I'd like an INDe set though.

I remember when the regulations went into place requiring second-floor nightclubs to install ramps (or elevators). In 95', I could have named a dozen clubs that only provided stairs. Valentines in Albany, Metronome and Toast in Burlington, upstairs stage in the Elvis Room, etc.

It must be nice living in the future.
I thought the rule on elevators is that they need to be installed when/if an establishment built prior to the requirement is extensively remodeled. I worked in some places in Boston that only had stairs and I think that’s why.

I thought the rule on elevators is that they need to be installed when/if an establishment built prior to the requirement is extensively remodeled. I worked in some places in Boston that only had stairs and I think that’s why.

You are correct, though it also included change-of-ownership and anything that required re-licensing, such as a license suspension. I can only name a single club that is under the same ownership as it was in 95'.

There's a guy on guitarforum that lives up in Burlington, I'll ask him if Metronome installed a ramp/lift already. Locally in Albany... Valentines was torn down. Bogies burnt to the ground. QE2 went under after trying out the all-ages thing.

Back