Maple sticks..?

P

paradiddle pete

if anyone could be troubled to list all the maple sticks available I would be greatly appreciative. can't seem to find much info on what's out there..

Most brands make all their popular models in a maple version.
I love the feel of a maple stick, but it's just too soft and I can't get through a whole song without breaking one.
Same here.
I tried a couple pairs of On Stage 5b sticks that were practically free from Sweetwater one time. They felt good, but I had more wood flakes around my kit than I'd ever seen before.
No more maple. :confused:

Vater, Regal Tip, Zildjian and Pro Mark all have the ability to search "Material" (ie Hickory, Maple etc.) on their websites. The Vic Firth Maple sticks are called "American Heritage" and "American Custom". They do offer 1 maple model in the Modern Jazz Collection, the MJC 4.

Same here.
I tried a couple pairs of On Stage 5b sticks that were practically free from Sweetwater one time. They felt good, but I had more wood flakes around my kit than I'd ever seen before.
No more maple. :confused:
Funny that it's opposite for you. I don't hit hard but of course use rim shots and hit cymbals close the edge. For me, Vater maple sticks are actually more durable. A hickory stick might splinter, whereas the maple stick just gets dents. :)

Just picked up some at Dubs drum shop from a company called Headhunters .
Nice feeling sticks.

Funny that it's opposite for you. I don't hit hard but of course use rim shots and hit cymbals close the edge. For me, Vater maple sticks are actually more durable. A hickory stick might splinter, whereas the maple stick just gets dents. :)
The On Stage brand is really cheap wood. They come apart pretty easy so I wasn't surprised when I saw the chips. I'll go name brand if I want to go back to wood.

Yeah, I was a bit perplexed by the previous comments, but my only experience with maple sticks are some Vater Super Jazz that I got a while back. Maybe Vater does maple really well? I think breaking points were about the same as my hickory sticks.

Somewhere in 2012 i gave the Promark Todd Sucherman a try after using the Mike Portnoy sigs for years. Really liked those and started using them up until around 2016 or so when they upped the prices. Like the feel and sound maple sticks produce on the drums and cymbals. Eventually switched to Vater Sugar Maple 5B's since those are basically the same as the TS sigs, but cheaper. I do concur that the Vaters are a bit more durable. Switched to hickory sticks because i couldn't get over the Marshall stacks of the band i was in (left them early 2019), even switched to 2B's for a while. But due to my technique and the weight of those sticks, it chocked all the tone out of my own kit, so reverted back to the Vater maple 5B's after a year or so. Did try hickory 5A's for a few sessions, but keep coming back to the Vater maple 5B's :)

Really interested in the 9D's as well from Vater

Back