Mapex Saturn V exotic arrived!!!

Superman

Gold Member
So it’s been forever since I bought a brand new kit. I sold 3 of my other kits and now have a set of Saturn III and my new Saturn V exotic. I almost bought a set of DW design but I changed my mind and went with these instead. I always wanted an exotic finish and these are absolutely beautiful. All the hardware is heavy duty and well made. My very happy with my purchase and love these!!
EAF818FB-2E57-42B0-9AE3-964A88FF903B.jpeg50D75459-D1F6-421A-A9E0-D0F101978F87.jpegF0216D79-A50E-4B26-B92E-6657960F05D2.jpeg0839B486-DF74-4E49-A7C0-D0368D49CB9D.jpegE1E2652B-F62F-4EAE-BFD8-E880EB491D97.jpeg9517A77A-B9B7-429F-8E7C-C066D1D49458.jpeg9DC07D18-F658-4C3E-B818-9C9493A93FBD.jpeg

Hey man nice score!

I have to say...since they're brand new...you simply must let us know what that there walnut smells like.

I bet they smell really good. I'd love to smell them. Hopefully, you can let us know what they smell like

I'd love to lay down, poke my head inside, and sniff the inside of that bass drum.

Mmmmm

:)

Last edited:
Beautiful so what are sizes-it almost looks like 10 and 13 Mounted Toms at that angle ?

Hey man nice score!

I have to say...since they're brand new...you simply must let us know what that there walnut smells like.

I bet they smell really good. I'd love to smell them. Hopefully, you can let us know what they smell like

I'd love to lay down, poke my head inside, and sniff the inside of that bass drum.

Mmmmm

I was wondering why my internet content filter suddenly blocked DW! Easy there Larry, there are kids around!...Nice kit Superman!

Hey man nice score!

Mmmmm

Beautiful so what are sizes-it almost looks like 10 and 13 Mounted Toms at that angle ?
LOL..they smelled like cinnamon pop tarts. Delicious!!

It's a 22, 10, 12, 16. I was mounted the toms on stands and hated it. I have a saturn bass tom mount coming this week. I just prefer the toms on the bass drum and with Mapex there is no drilling. The kit sounds awesome though. I considered almost every kit out there before I settled on this. So now I have a Saturn III and a Saturn V.

That finish is really nice. It looks like it might pass for black from a distance, but as you get closer...
Congratulations on the new set and good luck with it.

Beautiful kit!

I think you would have been delighted with the DW Designs too but at the end of the day you got exactly what you wanted. I'll bet they sound as good as they look.

Last edited:
Dark...mysterious...and yet...do I dare say it..strrrangely and eerily beautiful. That kit is a stealth jet capable of flying through enemy territory undetected. Rock...out..Darth Vader!

I really like bass drum mounted toms, and I really like that mount. Very well thought out, non-intrusive to the shell.
I thought about getting a Saturn V a couple years back, and I was definitely planning on getting the mount as well.
Do you tighten the 4 tuning key bolts to keep it in place?

I hope you got a good deal on those. About a year ago, Guitar Center Hollywood was blowing out a 10/12/14/16/22 version of that exact kit for a ridiculously good price. If I remember correctly, that price dropped another $100 before it finally sold. I had considered it, but I’m so happy with my Renowns it didn’t feel like there was any point in getting those.

BC3F782E-6525-48F3-9623-249E16092563.jpeg97CB0802-5CB3-451B-8FC0-CBEB69562166.jpeg

I love the look of the shells and hardware. The V has different bearing edges, right? Any noticeable difference in sound compared with the III?
I feel like these sing a little more, but in all fairness, they have different heads on them at the moment.
I really like bass drum mounted toms, and I really like that mount. Very well thought out, non-intrusive to the shell.
I thought about getting a Saturn V a couple years back, and I was definitely planning on getting the mount as well.
Do you tighten the 4 tuning key bolts to keep it in place?
Yes. Unlike the mount of my Saturn III, you can use those 4 bolts to slide it up and down the bass drum. Really well done.
Dark...mysterious...and yet...do I dare say it..strrrangely and eerily beautiful. That kit is a stealth jet capable of flying through enemy territory undetected. Rock...out..Darth Vader!
Best description ever! Well done, lol.
I hope you got a good deal on those. About a year ago, Guitar Center Hollywood was blowing out a 10/12/14/16/22 version of that exact kit for a ridiculously good price. If I remember correctly, that price dropped another $100 before it finally sold. I had considered it, but I’m so happy with my Renowns it didn’t feel like there was any point in getting those.

View attachment 107180View attachment 107181
Mine is a 2 up 1 down, but yes, I paid less that that. That was a good price though for sure.

Back