Mapex Meridian: Tom Memory Locks

Splat

I picked up a nice used set of Meridians few months ago. I'm quite impressed with their beautiful looks and sound. I figured I'd start gigging them and went over anything that needed attention that I might have missed when I first got them. I noticed the floor toms' legs don't have memory locks. I know the mounts are the same as for the hanging toms. Anyone know the part # for the tom memory locks? Thanks.

I don't think they're interchangeable. The toms have hex-shaped rods (and hex-shaped openings in the memory lock) and the floor tom legs are round.

Drilling into the square shaped hole in the memory lock will take less time than getting the bit, securing the lock in a vise, ensuring lock is square to bit, then drilling the hole. :)

Well, you can if you drill them, otherwise the diameter of the f/t legs is larger than the tom mount "L" arm.

Funny...I finally found the part. It's 6751-645A. I haven't been able to source them from anywhere on the web yet. Now that I have a part # I'll see if I can get them.

You can also just use small automotive hose clamps. I've done it.

@Tommy_D is correct, no worries on Mapex memory locks fitting both hex and round rods/shafts. Mapex shares a very similar (though not identical; different alignment/interlock tabs) design to Sonor mounts and memory locks:

[ Note: despite the Sonor memory lock being listed just for bass drums, it’s the same one used for hex tom arms, round floor legs and round bass drum spurs. And the Right designation is just the default bolt orientation since Sonor only has one interlock tab. Just reverse the direction of the bolts to use for the Left. ]

@Winston_Wolf had a valid concern, just wanted to reassure the OP that No Drilling is required or should be done. ;)

BTW just noticed the Mapex memory lock part number on Cascio Interstate Music is one digit off from what @Splat posted. Not sure the difference, but Cascio might be a good source for these.

The Meridian series didn't use that type of memory lock, but one that was contoured to blend in with the tom mount. It's hard to keep up since Mapex completely re-invents all of their gear every few years. This Meridian style of lock will most assuredly not fit on a floor tom leg. Well, not without modification, at least... I used standard 10.5mm locks of whatever variety I could find on my floor tom legs but I wasn't worried about continuing the (admittedly more elegant) look, I just wanted to make sure everything went back into place.

mapex-meridian-horizon-birch-tom-arm_360_336bb61967852a3594dae55fcd2cd660.jpg

@Winston_Wolf is showing the right ones. Easily drilled out to fit the f/t legs since I just did one this morning. Sure, I can use something else, like duct tape. When load-in/out is always rushed it's nice to use the right thing that'll ensure the legs are position at right height and placement, especially if you've got a lot of stand legs in the same area.

The Meridian series didn't use that type of memory lock, but one that was contoured to blend in with the tom mount. It's hard to keep up since Mapex completely re-invents all of their gear every few years. This Meridian style of lock will most assuredly not fit on a floor tom leg. Well, not without modification, at least... I used standard 10.5mm locks of whatever variety I could find on my floor tom legs but I wasn't worried about continuing the (admittedly more elegant) look, I just wanted to make sure everything went back into place.

View attachment 89909

Hmm, Pearl makes some similar looking memory locks for use with their floor tom brackets, but they use a 9.5mm leg so that probably wont work:

lg-02.jpg

Thanks for the clarification on the Meridian. Mapex does seem to change up things more than others, but their newer design is at least more flexible. I too would have went with a more generic 10.5mm lock here, but sounds like OP is happy with the drilling route.

Back