Mapex armory snares

airbus172

so I was looking to buy a new kit and I have decided on a stage custom birch or a Mapex armory. Now it’s all down to the snare. From what I’ve heard from people and video demos, the tomahawk snare is meant to be pretty scheisse, just some overtones, but the stage custom snare would need replaced eventually. I kinda wanted a snare that was from a whole line of snares, if that makes sense, so I want to ask: if I buy a Mapex armory in scotland, would I still be able to choose the snare that comes with it (eg change the tomahawk snare for a sabre snare)?

IBitePrettyHard

Actually I think the Stage Custom Birch snare is fantastic. It sounds way better than it should!

I think you should get the Yamaha Stage Custom. The Mapex Armory is good, but the Stage Custom is better IMO. Plus it comes with a great snare.

I have no idea if Mapex has the snare swapping program in Scotland.

airbus172

Actually I think the Stage Custom Birch snare is fantastic. It sounds way better than it should!

I think you should get the Yamaha Stage Custom. The Mapex Armory is good, but the Stage Custom is better IMO. Plus it comes with a great snare.

I have no idea if Mapex has the snare swapping program in Scotland.
Should I take a look at the SJC pathfinder or Pearl decade maple?

donzo74

The recent 10 lug Stage Custom Birch is quite a nice surprise. Mine arrived from the factory with the snares perfectly centered and they used fabric straps to hold the snares on instead of plastic strips, which is an upgrade, IMO. I only changed the batter head to something a little thicker (Evans G14) and it is right on the money. I currently use it as a practice snare and leave it at the practice space for a blues/rock group I play with. It sounds great in that context. It is crisp enough for clear rudiments and open rolls, while being sensitive enough for light buzz rolls. I don't take it on gigs because I have other options and I specifically bought this kit to leave at a remote site for rehearsals, but I wouldn't hesitate to gig the snare or the whole SCB kit if I needed to.

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
I played a Tomohawk snare once, and I wasn't terribly impressed. There have been a few threads about them too, and most haven't been terribly complimentary. I'm sure there are people out there who are pleased with them, but the consensus on here have leaned towards the negative side. Go play it first, if you can!

airbus172

I played a Tomohawk snare once, and I wasn't terribly impressed. There have been a few threads about them too, and most haven't been terribly complimentary. I'm sure there are people out there who are pleased with them, but the consensus on here have leaned towards the negative side. Go play it first, if you can!
I have played the tomahawk snare. is the decade maple any good, and does the stage custom have a lacquer finish, should I take a look at the tama superstar?

IBitePrettyHard

Should I take a look at the SJC pathfinder or Pearl decade maple?
SJC as a company is obsessed with image and style over everything else. Sound is an afterthought. Their CEO is a designer, not a drum builder...and it shows. Don't buy an SJC kit unless you're a skater bro and like to call everything "sick."

The Pearl Decade Maple isn't bad, but it's not great IMO. They had to cut corners to get it down to a low price point. The 16" floor tom has only 6 lugs, and the hardware is aggressively lackluster. I think the Stage Custom, Armory, and Tama Superstar sound better.

BonsaiMagpie

I've had an armory for 4 years. Wish I'd had a stage custom.
The toms and bass drum are good, but the tomahawk should have been left in the steel mill.

mikyok

Platinum Member
The Armory is a great kit for it's price range but the Saturn is far better and isn't that much more expensive.

My advice is get this:

Pro kit for a crazy price.

This is my personal weapon of choice but in a different finish. Check out the Black Panther snare line, lots of choice very good snares.

airbus172

The Armory is a great kit for it's price range but the Saturn is far better and isn't that much more expensive.

My advice is get this:

This is my personal weapon of choice but in a different finish. Check out the Black Panther snare line, lots of choice very good snares.
that looks pretty good, I’ll look at it.

IBitePrettyHard

My advice is get this:

Yeah that's a great price! Here's a Reverb listing for the same kit in the US that's even cheaper. They must be closing out excess inventory.

Mapex Saturn Tour 3 piece in Black Strata Pearl for $800.
https://reverb.com/item/15028434-mapex-saturn-v-tour-drum-shell-kit-3-piece-black-strata-pearl

airbus172

My advice is get this:

is the PDP concept classic any good for the price?

IBitePrettyHard

is the PDP concept classic any good for the price?
I think they're good for the price, IF you want that specific sound. I wouldn't consider wood hooped drums to be versatile like standard metal hooped drums. They have a tubby, round sound that's great for certain things, and not so great for everything else.

airbus172

I think they're good for the price, IF you want that specific sound. I wouldn't consider wood hooped drums to be versatile like standard metal hooped drums. They have a tubby, round sound that's great for certain things, and not so great for everything else.
what kind of stuff are they for (wood hoops)? Because kinda like the sound.

IBitePrettyHard

what kind of stuff are they for (wood hoops)? Because kinda like the sound.
Drums with wood hoops have a dark, warm sound, which is nice...but they have less attack and articulation. Best for slower music, singer/songwriter, ballads, country, classic rock, indie, etc.

drummom

Email mapex and ask. If they don't have a location in the UK, you have to pay for shipping and that could be pricy in the US. I did the exchange. We weren't fans of the snare it came with. I emailed, they had me send it in/pay for shipping one way and quickly sent a new one.