Ludwig Jazz Festival or Pioneer Snare?

Acrolitefan77

Hello folks.
Sorry if this has already been covered but I have the opportunity to buy either a Jazz festival or a Pioneer. Both are mint and a steal. The Jazz festival is 189 and the Pioneer is 140. I would love to buy both but the wife objects. Which would you go with.

opentune

Platinum Member
buy both then buy your wife something.
personally i would go for the jazz festival if only one.

KamaK

Platinum Member
My feeling is that they're both basically the same drum, and that the Jazz Fest will have a slightly wider top/bottom tuning range due to the two extra lugs (Pioneer has 6?). Tuned in the midrange, both drums would likely sound identical.

Acrolitefan77

My feeling is that they're both basically the same drum, and that the Jazz Fest will have a slightly wider top/bottom tuning range due to the two extra lugs (Pioneer has 6?). Tuned in the midrange, both drums would likely sound identical.

Yeah the Pioneer has 6. I am going with the Jazz Fest. I have never seen one for 189 mint. I can't pass it up. Thanks for te input.

Brewkowski

I've owned both and currently own a 1967 Jazzfest in blue sparkle. Great drum! Slight differences in sound but nothing too drastic. If you can pick up a Jazzfest in decent condition for less than 200 bucks, DO IT! A much more collectable drum. Their prices are usually around 300-350 where as you can pick up a pioneer for 200 or less any day of the week.

Acrolitefan77

I pulled the trigger on the Jazz Festival and can't wait to play it. 200 bucks with tax and shipping. Will post pics when it arrives.