Ludwig Black Beauty B-Stock long term value

KickKickHat

I’m debating between a brand new Black Beauty with tube lugs vs a B-stock Black Beauty with imperial lugs that is $300 cheaper. My concern is long term value if I want to sell it in the future. I have another B-Stock Black Beauty and the finish didn’t hold up, so it’s not really sellable for good money and I’m wondering if investing in an A-stock drum will hold its value better. Or am I just paying more for virtually nothing?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

T_Kauff

I have about 30 ludwig snares, all bought new, and they are great but, I wouldn't consider them as an investment drum, as compared to say, a Joyful Noise. Which I own several of. Those are truly an testament piece! Yes, they are about twice the price but, they are 5 times the build quality. I often get asked to sell my Joyful Noise but, never once, have I been asked to sell one of my Ludwig's.

IBitePrettyHard

I’m debating between a brand new Black Beauty with tube lugs vs a B-stock Black Beauty with imperial lugs that is $300 cheaper. My concern is long term value if I want to sell it in the future. I have another B-Stock Black Beauty and the finish didn’t hold up, so it’s not really sellable for good money and I’m wondering if investing in an A-stock drum will hold its value better. Or am I just paying more for virtually nothing?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
What happened with your B-stock BB's finish? Just curious.

KickKickHat

What happened with your B-stock BB's finish? Just curious.
It just got tarnished, so it doesn't polish up nice. The tarnishing started after having it for a couple years and I just tried again to see if I could polish it up, but no go at 10 years old. Not sure if that's normal for BB's or if that was due to the B-stock.

KickKickHat

I have about 30 ludwig snares, all bought new, and they are great but, I wouldn't consider them as an investment drum, as compared to say, a Joyful Noise. Which I own several of. Those are truly an testament piece! Yes, they are about twice the price but, they are 5 times the build quality. I often get asked to sell my Joyful Noise but, never once, have I been asked to sell one of my Ludwig's.
Yeah, I don't consider my drums investments per se, but I do want them to hold reasonable value if I decide to sell down the line.

yammyfan

Once bitten, twice shy. Can't say I would want to sink BB money into another one, given your experience.

Have you considered alternatives?

KickKickHat

Once bitten, twice shy. Can't say I would want to sink BB money into another one, given your experience.

Have you considered alternatives?
My other BB is my main snare and it is amazing sounding. That’s why I’m getting another (have 6.5”, getting a 5”). I have tried a bunch of other snares that just don’t have the same sound as the BB, especially for recording.

Redbeard

The B-stock Ludwigs I've seen either had no noticeable flaw or something minor on the inside, so I'm not sure your tarnishing issue is directly related to it being a B-stock drum.
I recently purchased a used BB for about the same price as a new B-stock, so make of that what you will regarding resale value.

KickKickHat

The B-stock Ludwigs I've seen either had no noticeable flaw or something minor on the inside, so I'm not sure your tarnishing issue is directly related to it being a B-stock drum.
I recently purchased a used BB for about the same price as a new B-stock, so make of that what you will regarding resale value.
Thanks! This is helpful feedback.

mikyok

Platinum Member
A Black Beauty is a Black Beauty so save yourself $300 Imperial lugs look better on a Ludwig snare IMHO. Used snares have signs of use when you buy them never mind a tiny blemish. Ludwig snares hold their value and they've got crazy expensive over the last few years.

My 402 was one of the last out of the Chicago factory and it has bowtie lugs, do I care.......nope. Am I ever going to sell it....hell no. Does it sound the mutts nuts....hell yes!

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
I'm probably silly, but I'd rather buy a used A-stock BB as opposed to a new B-stock. While a B-stock snare is a good deal, I know that it would bother me 6 months from now if I settled on a B-stock. I own two BB snares, and I got an amazing deal on both. I love them both equally, and to my ears and hands, they are worth 100% of the hype that surrounds them.

But that's just me.

calan

Silver Member
I'm probably silly, but I'd rather buy a used A-stock BB as opposed to a new B-stock. While a B-stock snare is a good deal, I know that it would bother me 6 months from now if I settled on a B-stock. I own two BB snares, and I got an amazing deal on both. I love them both equally, and to my ears and hands, they are worth 100% of the hype that surrounds them.

But that's just me.
On the other hand, I don't think there's really any difference in value between a used version of an A or B stock, other than perhaps the perceived provenance of the badge.

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
On the other hand, I don't think there's really any difference in value between a used version of an A or B stock, other than perhaps the perceived provenance of the badge.

Very true! For a lot of people, it simply doesn't matter; however, for me it does. But I'm quirky about certain things.

Neal Pert

I've owned a couple Black Beauties. The one I have now is a B-Stock. The mics don't care. The band doesn't care. Some guys on the internet who will never, ever hear or see my drum care. I'm fine with this arrangement.

I still don't really understand what happened to the OP's finish. Can you post a photo?

Anyway, I'm guessing that the B Stock drum will fetch about $300 less than the "A Stock" one will, which seems about right.

charliedrummer

Occasionally you'll come across a B stock snare that has a keystone badge rather than a B/O badge. There's one on Reverb right now if the badge type is important to you.

TMe

I got a B stock Supraphonic and I can't see any difference, other than the badge. The sales guy said that sometimes things don't go quite right during the electroplating, so Ludwig doesn't want to warranty the "B" drums because the finish might start deteriorating some time down the road. That's why they don't have a badge with a serial # - which would be associated with a warranty. I have no idea how accurate that info is, though.