Lowe's took me on a wild ride.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
I was a kid but seemed like it was heavy but momentum of pushing propelled it along. It was this old man who lived across from a childhood buddy. Unlike most seniors he was always outside working hard in his yard - all of us kids predicted he’d croak but he outlived most staying active. He wasn’t to friendly a sort but we got him on a good day and he let us both push his mower. Usually he yelled for us not to cross his yard when we went to woods along bear creek. All the homes including my parents backed up to it. It was our jungle as kids of all ages- we had forts, tunnels, tree houses and wars too - it was sort a like Vietnam. But when I fell into a deep trap it wasn’t lined with stakes- just to deep for us younger. Centipede is bad to leave a path and we kids were like deer in our neighborhood so lots of unwanted paths and “old people” yelling at us LOL. Or don’t eat my pecans, my pears, my cherries, etc dang we were like deer and a nuisance.

Last edited:

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
This is very surprising to me. I have only had 2 Honda engines fail in 20 years. 1 was run without oil for 5 days before I came to work at the property, it locked up. New rings and bearings and back to work. The other was a push mower that had a seized up main jet from sitting for 2 years with old gas. 1 $0.75 jet and presto. My boss now uses it at his house.
I recently had to replace the full carb on my Honda engine mower at a cost of circa $400. Machine is 15 years old, but the damage is more recent. Increasing % of ethanol in fuel is to blame for a build up of destructive coating. That coating proved impossible to remove, even with the most aggressive of solutions.

All standard fuel grades in the UK recently moved to 10% ethanol, & that's a recipe for disaster on anything with a carb.

someguy01

I recently had to replace the full carb on my Honda engine mower at a cost of circa $400. Machine is 15 years old, but the damage is more recent. Increasing % of ethanol in fuel is to blame for a build up of destructive coating. That coating proved impossible to remove, even with the most aggressive of solutions.

All standard fuel grades in the UK recently moved to 10% ethanol, & that's a recipe for disaster on anything with a carb.
This is true and rather unfortunate. I've yet to see a small engine that's fuel injected. FWIW fuel in the US has been at least 10% ethanol for years, and there are additives on the market to help alleviate damage.
With the new carb, when not in use shut the fuel petcock and remove the 10mm bolt on the float bowl and let the carb drain fully. It'll help keep the ethanol from drying out the seals in the carb.

wraub

My yard is low water, so mostly rocks. My mower is a rake and a hoe. :D

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
This is true and rather unfortunate. I've yet to see a small engine that's fuel injected. FWIW fuel in the US has been at least 10% ethanol for years, and there are additives on the market to help alleviate damage.
With the new carb, when not in use shut the fuel petcock and remove the 10mm bolt on the float bowl and let the carb drain fully. It'll help keep the ethanol from drying out the seals in the carb.
Good advice, & something I do every winter. The mower is used weekly during the growing season, so no issues there. I was quite surprised by the price of the carb, so not in the mood for paying that out again.

UK 98 (super) unleaded will still continue with max 5% ethanol, so I'll be using that from now on.

someguy01

. I was quite surprised by the price of the carb
As was I. I bought one for a side job a few months back that was $70 USD complete. I sometimes feel like residents of Canada and the UK pay way too much for basic goods. I've often pondered a black market in engine parts from the US to CN, UK, AUS, and NZ.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
As was I. I bought one for a side job a few months back that was $70 USD complete. I sometimes feel like residents of Canada and the UK pay way too much for basic goods. I've often pondered a black market in engine parts from the US to CN, UK, AUS, and NZ.
Not a bad idea, but just watch duties kill it :(

The carb I bought was for an 18HP V twin engine, quite a large unit, but still a fairly simple affair.