Looking to buy son his own kit

bearblastbeats

Hey Guy/Gals,

Anyone have experience with the questlove pocket kit for children? My son is 1.5yo, and loves to bang away on my kit. I'm looking to get him his own kit to suit his size and was looking at the ludwig pocket kit.

Figured the whole kit-in-a-box thing was alright considering he could have his own throne adjusted to where he should be able to reach the pedals? Mind you, he's already about 3'h and will be two in Feb.

worth the $$ or should I get a budget kit and find a toddler throne?

Probably should consider one of those little tyke one where he can stand up to?

Sure, if you want to. The thing is with kids, especially at this age, their interests change by the minute. For example, he/she may be all about Elmo, so you buy all of this Elmo stuff for their birthday, then two days later they are into something else entirely and want nothing to do with it. My point is don't feel like you have to spend a lot of money on specific interests right now because they change so quickly. I know you are trying to be a good parent, and there's nothing wrong with that! Keep it up!

My vote is still for the cardboard box and wooden spoons. :)

Sure, if you want to. The thing is with kids, especially at this age, their interests change by the minute. For example, he/she may be all about Elmo, so you buy all of this Elmo stuff for their birthday, then two days later they are into something else entirely and want nothing to do with it. My point is don't feel like you have to spend a lot of money on specific interests right now because they change so quickly. I know you are trying to be a good parent, and there's nothing wrong with that! Keep it up!

My vote is still for the cardboard box and wooden spoons. :)

In all actualtity, he has his choice between the 2 kits and the electric kit in the basement haha.

My son, now six years of age, who has been wielding sticks his whole life, just got his first kit a few months ago. Early on, he drummed on his bed, cushions, boxes and so on. Then I got him a practice pad, which he used for a few years before getting drums. I continue to emphasize that he practice on his pad, but he's enjoying his drum set as well.

I think 1.5 years is too young for a set of drums. Let him bang on boxes and what not for a while. You'll know in a few years whether he really wants to be a drummer or not.

+1 on the tin can box thing, tho get him some proper sticks and cut them down a bit, cant hurt. I played tin cans and a box for years when I was a kid....poor mom.

A pair of sticks and a plastic bucket, like the street entertainers. . .NOT nearly as loud as letting him bang on pots and pans.

But yeah, 1 1/2 years--tiny dude! Rock on little man.

You could always buy him something you could use if he lost interest. I was thinking a set of bongos or a small conga, something along those lines.

I wouldn't spend much money on a 1 1/2 year old. His attention span is all over the place and will continue to be so until he's a teenager. And even then..... well, you get the idea. You have some time yet before you have any real sense of where his interests lie.

I’ve got the Yamaha Manu Katche Jr Kit as a lightweight/portable gig kit, but it‘s actually designed as children’s kit. It’s basically just a small stage custom and has the advantage of the breakbeats of nicer finishes and a second rack tom.

That said I agree with a lot of the responses here— 1½ is super young. I’d also imagine hearing damage is a concern at that age and it’s hard to get a 1½ to wear hearing protection. Maybe buckets for now— kit later?

Back