Looking for songs with lots of double bass drumming

Duck Tape

Platinum Member
Hi guys,

Another song thread, there won't be too many more I promise. I need a lot of help with this one, I haven't really been into metal for a long time.

I want to practice double kick playing at achievable sort of tempos, think intermediate level or mid tempo, slightly fast.

I am looking for songs that have more or less constant double bass, or at least a chorus or verse with a constant pattern. Doesn't have to be metal but I'm assuming that they're all going to be.

Some songs I could think of

Decapitated - Spheres Of Madness
Cthulhu Dawn - Cradle of filth
puritania - dimmu borgir
masters apprentice - Opeth
Deliverance - Opeth
Inception of the end - Trivium
Idols and Anchors - parkway drive
suffer in truth - meshuggah
bleed - meshuggah

I know some of these blur the lines of my own criteria but I'm scraping the bottom of the barrel just to remember these.
Thanks in advance

Right off the top of my head there's a Demon Hunter song that is extremely simple and has a double bass section after every verse.

The obvious one is Angel of Death by Slayer.

But a few more:

The Leper Affinity - Opeth. Not constant but long sections of it at points.
Painkiller - Judas Priest. After the intro alternates between quavers and semi-quavers throughout.
Lack of Comprehension - Death. Slower passages interspersed with some much faster passages. A true classic.
Scavenger of Human Sorrow - Death. Another one. But a very challenging piece. Richard Christy is a monster. Odd time signatures and everything.

I was literally trying to learn the song structure by ear when I saw your post just now.

My band is covering this song by Helloween at the moment. It's definately a stamina test. Hard to find a song with more doublebass than this, so it might be a far fetch if you are just getting back into it.

Last edited:
Take it Off The Top by the Dixie Dregs came on my Spotify radio yesterday - some good double bass in that one.

Off the wall suggestion - Stargazer & Light In The Black by Rainbow. Cozy Powell used his double bass for power rather than speed. Sure, he could have played the Stargazer pattern with one bass drum, but he wanted every stroke to be as strong as the rest, so pretty much every time there are two beats close together they are played on separate, alternating drums.

:)

Look at:

Morbid Angel
Cannibal Corpse
Obituary
Deicide
Malevolent Creation
Bolt Thrower
Six Feet Under
Monstrosity
Vore
Dying Fetus
Nile
Vader

These are all death metal bands. There is plenty of double kick in a myriad of tempos and lengths. Summon the Nameless by Vore has about 5 minutes of non stop mid tempo doubles from start to finish. If you can handle the music, there is plenty here to keep your feet busy forever.

I don't know if I agree with this notation, when VP plays it (particularly the outro), it sounds like 32nds to me (not 16th triplets) and his demo doesn't whip it up to speed.

Last edited:
Hi guys,

Another song thread, there won't be too many more I promise. I need a lot of help with this one, I haven't really been into metal for a long time.

I want to practice double kick playing at achievable sort of tempos, think intermediate level or mid tempo, slightly fast.

I am looking for songs that have more or less constant double bass, or at least a chorus or verse with a constant pattern. Doesn't have to be metal but I'm assuming that they're all going to be.

Some songs I could think of

Decapitated - Spheres Of Madness
Cthulhu Dawn - Cradle of filth
puritania - dimmu borgir
masters apprentice - Opeth
Deliverance - Opeth
Inception of the end - Trivium
Idols and Anchors - parkway drive
suffer in truth - meshuggah
bleed - meshuggah

I know some of these blur the lines of my own criteria but I'm scraping the bottom of the barrel just to remember these.
Thanks in advance
Judas Priest Painkiller (Already mentioned but for a good reason)
Devin Townsend Juular
Messhuggah The Devil's Name Is Surveillance
Pantera Primal Concrete Sledge
Metallica Dyer's Eve (Yes Lars Ulrich played that haters!)
Decapitated Earth Scar
Decapitated Kill The Cult
Sepultura Desperate Cry (The end mostly)
Slayer Mandatory Suicide (The end mostly)
Fleshgod Apocalypse The Forsaken (The one song with very achievable speed)
Fleshgod Apocalypse The Egoism (some parts are very playable some others are ridiculously fast)
Van Halen Hot For Teacher (look for the video of the 13 Y/O girl playing it perfectly..
Angra (The Brazilian band has a lot of songs with fast double bass)
Dragon Force (Through the fire and flames)
Soilwork The Living Infinite
Baby Metal Road of Resistance (Decently fast song and it even has blast beats)
Baby Metal Distortion
Dethclock Laser Cannon Deth Sentence (Maybe a little too fast but hey that's what swivel technique is for)

Behemoth Ov fire and the void Check this out, single handed drum rolls and he makes the whole thing look so easy :

Metallica Battery
Chimaira Nothing Remains
Five Finger Death Punch American capitalist (stamina test)
Five Finger Death Punch Under and over it
Kind Diamond Dressed in white some parts have decent double bass but generally a really fun song to play
All that remains This Calling
All that remains Two Weeks
Bullet For My Valentine Waking the demon

and some of the notation here: https://www.drumeo.com/beat/the-5-most-iconic-double-bass-grooves/
I can continue on but those are the ones I can remember at this time.

Gino Vanelli from Gist of the Gemini War Suite
About 4:36 into the track
Graham Lear drums

Back