Looking for recommendations for lightweight cymbal stands.

Meter man

So, I need to replace a couple cymbal stands that I've had forever and am looking for straight ones that are lightweight, yet sturdy for gigs (back's not getting any younger). Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

You have a few options:
1. Contemporary. For this, your best bet is probably a Yamaha CS650A. Simple but modern, works in all situations, more than sturdy enough. $59 new.
2. Retro. This means flat-base. For gigs that call for it, I use Tama's flat base stuff. Much lighter and more compact than modern tripod stands, but there is a trade-off in terms of sturdiness/stability (not good for uneven playing surfaces, and don't expect to hang a bunch of other stuff from it). However, it may suit your situation. Also $59 new.
3. Special materials. Yamaha came out with a line of aluminum stands recently. I haven't used them myself but they're apparently as light as it gets with much less of a trade-off in stability. A bit more expensive at $89 new.

I like the DW 6710 Straight Stands Flat Base. No issues.

DW Ultralight cymbal stands are great. Super light and well made. $70 individually. Highly recommended for gigging!

Like @Mustion said...(as with any flat-based stands) I can see a potential issue IF your playing surface isn't stable, like playing a gig outside in the grass, or an exceptionally wobbly drum riser. The stand is so light that it can't rely on its own mass to keep it steady. This won't be an issue for 99% of drummers though.

The Yamaha aluminum cymbal stand is just as light as the DW Ultralight, but the tripod base makes it even more stable. Also highly recommended. I just prefer the look of the DWs more.

I have no experience with them but aren't the DW Ultralight stands partially made from aluminum? Or are they just that light?

I have no experience with them but aren't the DW Ultralight stands partially made from aluminum? Or are they just that light?
Yep, DW stripped away all the unnecessary bulk, and made the legs out of aluminum. The high stress areas are still made from steel as far as I know.

What about the Pearl convertible flat base hardware? That’s supposed to be light, and you can use it as flat or as a tripod base.

What about the Pearl convertible flat base hardware? That’s supposed to be light, and you can use it as flat or as a tripod base.

From what I understand, those are still fairly heavy and bulky, and the tripod legs are much longer than on the other lightweight stands. You can also use the DW Ultralight as "regular" tripods as well, at least enough where you can put them over the top of another flat base stand.

The Yamaha Crosstown stands have "regular" tripods, so no worry of the legs being in the way of each other.

I've been using DW 6000 Hardware for my in side gigs for probably a little more than a year now. I haven't had any trouble with it. However I don't use them outside because the flat base stands can blow over in the Wind fairly easy.

I've been using DW 6000 Hardware for my in side gigs for probably a little more than a year now. I haven't had any trouble with it. However I don't use them outside because the flat base stands can blow over in the Wind fairly easy.
That is the only down side to the DW Ultralight cymbal stands that I have experienced. They are the wonderful otherwise.

I have two of the Pearl flat cymbal stands. They work well, look the part, and weigh a little bit more than the Tana and DW, but still much less than modern style stands. They can convert to ‘normal’ tripods, but the spread is a bit narrower than usual. The cymbal holder tilts smoothly, no teeth, which is a nice feature.

I use the DW Ultralight cymbal stands pretty much exclusively now for gigs. They're the lightest out there and are well made. I like that they have a classy vintage look but with modern features.

I saw the Tama classic stands up close recently and was not as impressed as I thought I would be. They kept all the bad features that the old vintage stands had like metal on metal contact (no nylon bushings in the fittings) and exposed geared tilters.
I'm glad I went with the DW's.

I’ve used DW Ultralight cymbal stands for a couple of years now and recommend them. I play in an amplified Heavy Rock setting and strike the cymbals with a degree of gusto and they haven’t let me down.
Most of my gigs are played in pubs on hard surfaces or carpets that in the most part are level. I’ve played a handful of gigs outdoors or in marquees with temporary stages and haven’t had any problems. If outdoor playing is something you do regularly then I perhaps wouldn’t recommend them so highly “just in case”. If on the other hand you only do the odd gig like that, then just keep hold of your current stands as emergency back ups.

Thanks for all the responses. I think I'm leaning towards the Yamaha Crosstowns as I don't like the look of the flat base stands. I've never used their hardware but the reviews look good.

i've teched a few drummers who are using the crosstown hardware, and while its ultra-lightweight, its quite sturdy and dependable. the *ONLY* small negative is the hi hat stand doesnt have swivvel legs so you would struggle to accomodate a double pedal with it, one drummer ive worked with uses the crosstown snarestand and cymbal stands but keept a regular hi hat stand purely for this reason.

Perhaps not the lightest out there, but I've been happy with the DW 7000 series cymbal stands. They are single-braced and fairly light with smaller-diameter tubes than a typical stand. They come with memory locks on each section and the infinitely-adjustable tilter. I can't go back to toothed tilters after using those.

I like the Gibraltar 4700 series. I have two of the boom stands, and they are light weight and sturdy. Peace and goodwill.

I am in the process of replacing my stands with lighter weight stands - please keep in mind the DW 6710 flat based stands come in 6710 and 6710UL. 6710UL is the "Ultra Light". So if you want something a tad heavier, you may want to look at the 6710 and not the ultra light. The UL is lighter, yes, but the legs are two inches shorter...which you could argue, is less stable. With that all said, I haven't read a lot of bad reviews on the UL and the stability.

Back