Looking for opinions on the Gretsch Renown RN2 Gig vs. Studio

moneydog59

Wondering if anyone has opinions on what the better application is for the RN2 Renowns. Sizes are 12, 14, 16, with a 20 x 14 kick (had it cut down by Precision Drum)

Do folks think they would be better suited for studio/recording, or for (typically) unmic'ed gigging.

Thanks in advance !! Stay safe out there.

Darth Vater

Either one. Although I can't speak to kick drum as configured. I think this is stock 20" in this video. RN2's are really good kits.

Drumprof

I owned the 20 inch bass kit.
Studio....definitely.
Live playing as well, great sound and feel but just from my experience, the drums are heavy to haul around.
I was surprised at how heavy they were when I got them put together and gigged them a couple times. Even for the 20 inch kick.
I actually ended up selling them for that reason and bought a Yamaha Tour Custom. Very light weight drums and sound great as well.

Now if that’s not a problem for you then by all means they are excellent build /sound professional level drums all the way.
Actually the substantial build of them is both a great contributor to the sound quality but just not favorable to ease of transportation.

I own USA Custom as well so I get my Gretsch thing on with them. They are pretty heavy also but I’m more selective about when I gig those.

the Renowns were even heavier than my Absolute Hybrid Maples which I would call medium heavy. The Tour’s being light are my go to kit for easy transport small gigs. Just my experience.

Last edited:

moneydog59

Thanks for the replies!

Actually though and after thinking about it, I guess my question should have been, if you had 2 kits, one the above mentioned Renown RNA and a Mapex Saturn V Tour kit, in sizes 22x14, 16x16, 14x14 13x9 and 12x8 (typically configured as a 1 up 1 down 13x9, 16x16 or 1 up 2 down 12, 14, 16)....which one would you gig with and which would you use in the studio?

And by studio, I mean the basement of one of the guys in one of the bands I'm in, basically low budget recording stuff.
However, I've got my own mics, Audix f2 on the drums, a D6 on the kick and f15 overheads, all drums are close mic'ed and mixer Soundcraft EPM, that I get pretty good sound out of.

Anyway, again thanks for any and all opinions. Love this site!!

ETA - yes Drumprof, you're point about the weight of the RN2 is partly why I am asking this question.

KamaK

Platinum Member
Actually though and after thinking about it, I guess my question should have been, if you had 2 kits, one the above mentioned Renown RNA and a Mapex Saturn V Tour kit, in sizes 22x14, 16x16, 14x14 13x9 and 12x8 (typically configured as a 1 up 1 down 13x9, 16x16 or 1 up 2 down 12, 14, 16)....which one would you gig with and which would you use in the studio?
Which one is more conducive to the stage lighting you employ? For example, if your lighting is heavy on reds, a green kit isn't going to look too good.

Sonically, there will be very little difference on an amplified stage, so choose the kit that best portrays "your sound" for the studio.

Last note: This is really a question you should be asking your producer (if you have one), as it is questions like these that they are employed to answer.