Looking for a tall snare stand

EricT43

I'm 6'3". When I set up my kit, I start by setting my throne height so that my thigh angles down slightly. To do that, I had to get a tall throne (Roc n Soc with extended base), since most drum thrones don't go high enough. Then, I set up my snare so that I can easily hit rimshots. Many snare stands can't make it to that height, especially if I'm using a 5.5" drum. I have a single-braced Yamaha snare stand that can just barely make it if I don't extend the legs too far. But I'd like a sturdier stand for gigging.

I'm looking for a medium-weight stand, along the lines of DW 3000 or 5000 series, that will get high enough for me. I did buy an orchestral snare stand at one point, but the base is enormous and it doesn't go low enough for sitting down. I thought of taking the top half of the orchestral stand and cutting the tube down, and then fitting it into a base of a regular snare stand, but before I do that, I wanted to check if there are any tall drummers here, and what you've done to accommodate your height. I suspect that a lot of tall drummers just compromise on ergonomics and sit low, but I'm trying to avoid that.

Eric, I recently purchased a vintage Slingerland stand, has a red decal on it, early 70s I think. I noticed right away that I could actually stand and play with this stand. It's sturdy, but obviously not exactly what you're after. I did a search for concert snare stand on google. A couple options came up from Gibraltar and DW. Wish I could be of more help

The Pearl tx-100 tube extender will fit your Yamaha stand. It has a 7/8” tube at the bottom and a 7/8” hole at the top. Minimum height extension is 8”, which might be too much, or it might be just right with the original stand set near minimum.

255193CD-7786-4126-86CC-ABB80C7950DE.jpeg

I dont remember when, but seems I've heard someone mention putting the snare basket in a cymbal stand tripod to make it taller.

I have used a cymbal stand bottom with a snare basket to stand and play a snare. I had a snare set up for when I just felt like playing snare and not set.

I'm 6'3". When I set up my kit, I start by setting my throne height so that my thigh angles down slightly. To do that, I had to get a tall throne (Roc n Soc with extended base), since most drum thrones don't go high enough. Then, I set up my snare so that I can easily hit rimshots. Many snare stands can't make it to that height, especially if I'm using a 5.5" drum.
What type of music are you playing? For speed we're always told to have your legs paralell to the floor (but if you're playing smooth jazz and having your legs slightly down is more comfortable for you I guess it doesn't matter).

I'm 6'5" and never had an issue with needing tall stands- guess I like everything low!

Back