Long lasting changes because of the Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the first order of things, this work from home thing will continue. Probably one thing that will likely not change back, now that formerly resistant employers find that some at least CAN work from home and are far more efficient.

Some of those same employers who didn't prepare for offsite employees will find themselves breeched, because there's no way attackers aren't going to take advantage of the haste, so far more destruction on the way. Cyber attacks on individuals will also grow for a time.

Regardless of how much we try and save the smaller businesses, far too many will be gone or eaten up for pennies on the dollar.

The finger pointing and political posturing will be getting way worse as everyone blames everyone else for their shortcomings, further dividing Americans....joy!

I just saw this article. And I have no doubt that there are plenty of people who would do what they are saying. Very scary stuff.

A-holes are all around us:

All the crazies come out of the wood work-which just makes me disgust humanity. I think of my wife and other health pros and they are human so listening to all this and have to be wondering"Damn should I risk my life for this lot?". There's a part of me that wants to tell my wife-screw it why put your life and our family at risks. Protect my family and granddaughter. I was discussing with a friend on FB about how his posts were just aggravating a bad situation and my concerns my wife-who is at risk-could die. He's attitude "whatever". Well I called him a fool-wanted to kill him at that instance. but I apologized explaining my concerns (Anger management worked) and he unfriended me and haven't heard anything since (we weren't close friends-he's my older brother friend so family friend. But I would never blame him if something happened to her-just tell her never treat him for hospice-LOL no just kidding.

Update - Way fewer facebook friends. That may be the best thing yet. Real friends are where it's at!
Amen Ryan, Amen. LOL

Update - Way fewer facebook friends. That may be the best thing yet. Real friends are where it's at!

I deleted Facebook 2 weeks ago when they banned me for 3 days. I would never have joined it on my own. My ex-girlfriend created the profile. I plan to never go back to it. LOL

I initially posted through my wife's account-we don't see eye to eye on about anything-opposites do attract. So she banned me from hers and I had to start my own. I like keeping up with "some" family and friends-and others who I remember fondly when they weren't crazy I'd just as soon think they aren't crazy and not keep up. Man I initially friended everybody-quickly realized Ooooopsss! Don't get me wrong I see the irony. Crazy yes but I still love them-else I'd be a hypocrite.

I think many restaruants will find that call in/pick up orders are a viable revenue stream even after things go back to 'normal'.

I just saw this article. And I have no doubt that there are plenty of people who would do what they are saying. Very scary stuff.

The truth is that as soon as one of their members was known to have the virus, he/she will immediately be considered "inferior" but brainwashed into a mission of infecting others "non whites" pretty much become a martyr for the cause. Notice how the leader never wears the exploding vest?
I find all those people to be just a bunch of sheep following some lunatic that probably was a reject in high school and developed into a loner that hated everyone, then found a reason to justify his hate in some racist literature, took those ideas and ran with them. Unfortunately some people will be affected by those lunatics...

Well one silver lining is this is a first the US groups has tippy toed through the forbidden political without losing civility. The EU/UK group do it really well and remain civil . Dang looks at us!! FB now DW the times are a changing-in my best anybody's voice but Dylan LOL

So another idea instead of ventilation. Maybe that portable iron lung for ventilation and oxygen through nose? I remember while my wife was in Med school they had a pediatric patient with some illness that evades me and they used that oxygenation fluorocarbon like on The Abyss. I wonder if that could be supplemented with antivirals, antibiotics, antinflamatories, etc.to help patients in distress?

So another idea instead of ventilation. Maybe that portable iron lung for ventilation and oxygen through nose? I remember while my wife was in Med school they had a pediatric patient with some illness that evades me and they used that oxygenation fluorocarbon like on The Abyss. I wonder if that could be supplemented with antivirals, antibiotics, antinflamatories, etc.to help patients in distress?

Grippa, no mate.

There's a reason why ICU's around the world use positive pressure ventilation.

As a front line nurse in Intensive Care, negative pressure ventilation is poorly tolerated and the risk of upper airway obstruction is too great. The effects of negative ventilation on the muscles alters patency of the airway drastically......plus it plays havoc with the left ventricle of the heart.

The technology we have in ICU's currently is pretty damn good.

The best way to help patients in distress currently is to actually apply the technology we have with experienced staff. That works a good percentage of the time.

That's another long lasting effect of this virus.........research for future events.

Last edited:
Grippa, no mate.

There's a reason why ICU's around the world use positive pressure ventilation.

As a front line nurse in Intensive Care, negative pressure ventilation is poorly tolerated and the risk of upper airway obstruction is too great. The effects of negative ventilation on the muscles alters patency of the airway drastically......plus it plays havoc with the left ventricle of the heart.

The technology we have in ICU's currently is pretty damn good.

The best way to help patients in distress currently is to actually apply the technology we have with experienced staff. That works a good percentage of the time.

That's another long lasting effect of this virus.........research for future events.
Yeah I know that but I was reading an article how they wanted to put multiple people on one vent-I was like how can that be possible with different compliances, etc.. Also a tracheostomy has problems with infections and there can be lung parenchymal damage but I hear you positive is better. The negative pressure was for muscle loss of respiratory muscles but just trying think out of the box. My wife shot down my idea this morning LOL That's why I'm wondering about the fluorocarbon thing now? Also working on mask idea I realize my optics to weak but I know histological dyes pretty well and think I can create an assay with dye loaded droplets of various loads-like with a virus-then measure spots considering diffusion of dye in the paper medium-so I'll have to calculate how the dye diffuses per droplet size or something like that-actually the have gold, zinc, etc nanoparticle but I got to ad lib. I got me a little file I put all my crazy ideas. I wonder if anyone has pursued the ACE2 entry pathway block. We collaborated with an ACE investigator while working on my PhD so I know some about it-by chance.

Last edited:
So now my point taken as US Congress in stalemate over an economic action. Yelling next they'll be fists LOL. Now I really want it but also afraid of disparities or political or ideological actions having nothing to do with problem so we get strapped with a bunch of doodoo. So right now our death rate isn't much different than S Korea that the most success of mitigating. Course now in the steep phase but California, Washington state, and New York taking a bigger hit really seem to be acting responsibly unlike other parts of nation. It gives me hope that maybe we can dodge the bullet or not take as many bullets-least gives me hope I guess next two weeks will tell here. I know it's serious times but I thought this was hilarious so thought some humor may lighten the load.

Last edited:
So now my point taken as US Congress in stalemate over an economic action. Yelling next they'll be fists LOL. Now I really want it but also afraid of disparities or political or ideological actions having nothing to do with problem so we get strapped with a bunch of doodoo. So right now our death rate isn't much different than S Korea that the most success of mitigating. Course now in the steep phase but California, Washington state, and New York taking a bigger hit really seem to be acting responsibly unlike other parts of nation. It gives me hope that maybe we can dodge the bullet or not take as many bullets-least gives me hope I guess next two weeks will tell here.

This week they expect to see a steep ramp up of cases here in the US. And from what I see, lots of people are ignoring the protocols put in place. I hope I’m wrong but 3 months into this and there still is no large scale testing taking place here. Some testing facilities have opened up but very few and you need a prescription from your doctor. It is not enough that you may have come in contact with someone with the virus. You have to be showing symptoms. That restriction renders the testing almost useless because not everyone shows symptoms but can carry and transmit the virus. Amazing to me how inept the response has been here.

Not really they should only test those with symptoms during the actual epidemic/pandemic.Even that is problematic as people who likely have it still test negative-one reason is the viruses are often deeper in airway. There is the nucleic acid PCR test for active infection then immunoassays to determine if people have been exposed. Everyone should be taking precautions that they could have it, had it or be a carrier-so stay at home. There was a case of an at risk child who died with symptoms of COVID-19 tested negative but the nurse has symptoms and is positive. There was no mass testing during last 7 pandemics it's always focused the testing doesn't do anything except gauge a spread (though because testing isn't 100% Is an estimate) or used to gauge interventions. If I were a physician I'd treat every patient with symptom criteria as positive-could just be flu but still an infectious disease. We know the actual epidemic is way ahead of testing =just like China when it started in November and no testing till January-they used clinical criteria and CT/Xray-I got the publications. I'm sure hospitals are doing similar diagnosing the pneumonia. I would love to see a mass testing for antibody for exposure so know real number of people infected then test those who die (knowing not all who die of COVID-19 will test positive for live virus. It's always estimates of people infected and death rates for influenza and other past pandemics. This could be a great experiment-a really expensive one I warn but it would be the best data to date. The test help scientist characterize what, how, when, where of virus but doesn't prevent, treat, or keep spread at bay. That genie is out of the bottle ahead of the scientist-testing will reveal what the virus is doing but it's already done it and moving on. We are always behind the ball in every pandemic we've experienced-that's the nature of pandemics a new virus no one know if is just minor, moderate or global killer. The govt response is always sluggish it seems so I agree lots of problems but part of that is science makes no guarantees and many publications with great hopes have been recanted because irreproducible. The CDC scientist screwed up and so their surveillance function off, so now private enterprise stepping in but you are correct even the people who need testing don't have access so you are right another poor response.

Last edited:
Not really they should only test those with symptoms during the actual epidemic/pandemic.Even that is problematic as people who likely have it still test negative-one reason is the viruses are often deeper in airway. There is the nucleic acid PCR test for active infection then immunoassays to determine if people have been exposed. Everyone should be taking precautions that they could have it, had it or be a carrier-so stay at home. There was a case of an at risk child who died with symptoms of COVID-19 tested negative but the nurse has symptoms and is positive. There was no mass testing during last 7 pandemics it's always focused the testing doesn't do anything except gauge a spread (though because testing isn't 100% Is an estimate) or used to gauge interventions. If I were a physician I'd treat every patient with symptom criteria as positive-could just be flu but still an infectious disease. We know the actual epidemic is way ahead of testing =just like China when it started in November and no testing till January-they used clinical criteria and CT/Xray-I got the publications. I'm sure hospitals are doing similar diagnosing the pneumonia. I would love to see a mass testing for antibody for exposure so know real number of people infected then test those who die (knowing not all who die of COVID-19 will test positive for live virus. It's always estimates of people infected and death rates for influenza and other past pandemics. This could be a great experiment-a really expensive one I warn but it would be the best data to date. The test help scientist characterize what, how, when, where of virus but doesn't prevent, treat, or keep spread at bay. That genie is out of the bottle ahead of the scientist-testing will reveal what the virus is doing but it's already done it and moving on. We are always behind the ball in every pandemic we've experienced-that's the nature of pandemics a new virus no one know if is just minor, moderate or global killer.

Correct. Testing is not to let the person know they have it. Testing’s main purpose is to identify where the virus is concentrating and tracking clusters. It allows those managing the government effort to focus resources where they are needed most and to initiate quarantines if necessary. I’m not suggesting mass testing. But testing on a similar scale to what South Korea did.

I know that dealers are offering this now, and I think we've all seen the mattress ads where you order online or by phone.

Granted, I'm from a bit of a different generation, but why would you choose a mattress without being able to lay in it first to see if it's comfortable? It doesn't matter if they have an 'easy' return policy, why test the unknown with such a personal, tactile product like that? The same would apply to a vehicle. How do you know how it handles - just by reading reviews and specs?

The same goes for cymbals and drums. Anything that makes a sound needs to be heard in person, or at least in a high-quality recording.

No, I don't think the online car thing will last. Mattresses, too. The millennials will suddenly wake-up to what an iffy process that is, and return to actually trying before they buy.

Bermuda

I've been biased for quite sometime against car salesman and so when I started this thread, it was based on seeing a ton of recent ads on TV that you still could get a car. They would even deliver it to you. And it was those kinds of ads that got my mind going on 'other' changes we may see as the norm.

If I could buy a car without having to sit down with a salesman to negotiate... I would be one very happy guy.

I literally hate the experience more than dental work. It's always in the back of my mind... they are going to dump every kind of trick to f*** you by making as much money off you as possible. (There's a few other businesses I feel do the same thing, but that's for another time).

While I get what you're saying about how a car handles, I'm older now, tested many a car and my criteria of how a car handles is pretty simple and straight forward... It's quiet, comfortable, good gas mileage, looks nice and affordable. I think the type of vehicles I look at for the most part, all come off the parking lot the same. I'm not getting tripped up with nuances.

I like the idea of Carvana. We don't have one around here.

The last car I bought was with the online dealer. It was WONDERFUL. I knew what I wanted... because it was the latest model of what I've been driving. I studied the inventory. Online guy went back and forth on a couple of emails, but at the end of the day, I knew what I wanted, found it, and knew what the final costs were walking out the door. It was physically done in about 30 minutes.

I know this is an extreme example because I knew what I wanted, but still, I don't get the point of a salesman.

Correct. Testing is not to let the person know they have it. Testing’s main purpose is to identify where the virus is concentrating and tracking clusters. It allows those managing the government effort to focus resources where they are needed most and to initiate quarantines if necessary. I’m not suggesting mass testing. But testing on a similar scale to what South Korea did.
I agree they have the highest rate of testing per pop size some 250,000 tests. We'd need millions to reach that level. That is the number of kits that WHO has seems like I read-the 250k number??. So we are behind the ball big time here but we can still enact actions to prevent assuming the worse-then test to catch up and find out. We get lots of promises-man have I heard that a bunch in life-I'm skeptical to say the least. Words come cheap-actions are the judge. From memory of number per million I calculate we need to test 1.92 million Americans to reach S Korea level. We ain't even close. It's like over a week for testing with health pros and patients in my wife's experience here., so creating problems for her with staffing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back