Lockdown music quiz

The Modernist

To my knowledge, there are only 8 British people who have ever charted at number 1 in the UK singles charts with two totally separately formed bands. Name all 8.

Paul McCartney
Eric Clapton
Jimmy Page
Ritchie Blackmore
Ozzy Osbourne
George Harrison
John Lennon
Billy Idol

I'm pretty confident about the first 5. I honestly have no idea, I could cheat and look it up but didn't. I'm not even 100% sure they are all British, and not Scottish or Welsh. Excuse my American ignorance. Trying to determine between the 3 proves difficult at times. I guess it would be like trying to determine if someone is from New York, New Jersey, or Massachusettes just by how they talk.

Paul McCartney
Eric Clapton
Jimmy Page
Ritchie Blackmore
Ozzy Osbourne
George Harrison
John Lennon
Billy Idol

I'm pretty confident about the first 5. I honestly have no idea, I could cheat and look it up but didn't. I'm not even 100% sure they are all British, and not Scottish or Welsh. Excuse my American ignorance. Trying to determine between the 3 proves difficult at times. I guess it would be like trying to determine if someone is from New York, New Jersey, or Massachusettes just by how they talk.
Of that list, only McCartney is correct. Some of the others have had a number one with a band, then solo, which is very different to doing it with two distinct bands, which the question asks.

Nope, people is correct.

Then solo acts should count. Just because the group is named after an individual doesn't mean it's not a group. By definition a group is more than one of a kind. I doubt the solo artists are doing it all themselves.
British includes Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish.

Oh seriously? Ignorant American question time, is Great Britian and United Kingdom the same thing then? I was under the impression that UK was England, Scotland, Wales, and (I had no idea) Northern Ireland, whereas Great Britain was just England. They dont teach us this stuff here, which is why I now feel stupid.

No idea, since i am not really a “charts-guy”, but my first thought was Damon Albarn..

Is he one of them..?

Maybe Noel Gallagher too btw..

No idea, since i am not really a “charts-guy”, but my first thought was Damon Albarn..

Is he one of them..?

Maybe Noel Gallagher too btw..
Yes think so...Albarn (Blur and Gorillaz) but the OP can confirm

Not Noel Gallagher though (don't think anyway)

Then solo acts should count. Just because the group is named after an individual doesn't mean it's not a group. By definition a group is more than one of a kind. I doubt the solo artists are doing it all themselves.

Oh seriously? Ignorant American question time, is Great Britian and United Kingdom the same thing then? I was under the impression that UK was England, Scotland, Wales, and (I had no idea) Northern Ireland, whereas Great Britain was just England. They dont teach us this stuff here, which is why I now feel stupid.
Officially known as The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

Officially known as The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

So Great Britain = England, Scotland, and Wales; and United Kingdom = Great Britain plus Northern Ireland? Is that correct?

So Great Britain = England, Scotland, and Wales; and United Kingdom = Great Britain plus Northern Ireland? Is that correct?

In a nutshell yes, but there are some other elements where my knowledge is a bit sketchy....the UK also has responsibility for Isle of Man and possibly some others around its shores

Back