LM402 tuning driving me crazy

Fritz Frigursson

Throughout the years I have played some supras that have been in really rough shape. I'm talking about abused school drums, rehearsal studio drums, neglected garage finds...excetera. No matter what the shape of the drum, it always sounds like a supraphinic. I find it hard to believe that slightly bent hoops are the problem here. It is more likely that you are not really a fan of the sonic characteristics of a supraphonic or were expecting something different sonically then what the drum delivers.
I'm not trying to criticize you, sometimes the idea of a particular drum is more appealing to us then the actual sound of the drum. I for one, am not a huge fan of Black Beauty snares. I know how great most people think they sound, and I even own a few of them (and use them from time to time when I feel the music calls for that particular sound) but to my ears they have a slightly boxy, uninspiring sound.
There is definitely something wrong. I’ve heard supras before even in real life and they never had this sound. I just ordered Puresound custom 24 strand wires to see if anything changes. I made this decision because the overtone was DEFINITELY coming from the wires. I tried fixing it with tuning but obviously it didn’t work out. I will update soon.

vindrums

There is definitely something wrong. I’ve heard supras before even in real life and they never had this sound. I just ordered Puresound custom 24 strand wires to see if anything changes. I made this decision because the overtone was DEFINITELY coming from the wires. I tried fixing it with tuning but obviously it didn’t work out. I will update soon.
I hope that fixes the issue you have with the drum. I find it way more likely that the issue is a minor fix like snare wires or head selection then hoops or bearing edges. Like I said before, Supras are very resilient and forgiving drums when it comes to some of those structural issues that would render other snares unplayable.

CYP47

I hope that fixes the issue you have with the drum. I find it way more likely that the issue is a minor fix like snare wires or head selection then hoops or bearing edges. Like I said before, Supras are very resilient and forgiving drums when it comes to some of those structural issues that would render other snares unplayable.
500-700 drums shouldn’t have structural issues