Liquid Courage for "Better" Playing?

Tamaefx

Silver Member
I can have a beer or a glass of wine before a gig, to ease a bit , but not -just- before. The worst gig I played was in a brewery, I drank a beer from them just before the gig, and their beer was much stronger than a regular blond beer, as I learnt after ! I felt it very quickly and knew I would be in trouble for the 2/3 first songs because focusing was a bit difficult. This, plus the sound problem - couldn’t hear the bass enough - it was a mess.
So never again I take a glass of alcohol too close to the beginning of a gig, and If I do let’s say one hour before, it’ll be a beverage I already know.

Paul Blood

I don't really get what you mean. They have more energy because they don't have to setup/tear down? It's difficult to setup/tear while having a few drinks? Sorry I'm not getting it.

Yes, it is harder set up and tear down and drive home after the gig when your drunk or high. Famous musicians with roadies and chauffer's don't have to worry about that.

BruceW

I play better when I haven't had anything to drink. Pretty sure that applies to almost anyone.

However...in the real world, there are variables. My only perspective is one of a weekend bar/club drummer. Not someone like Bermuda or you others that play much higher profile gigs than me.

I work a 45-50 hour/week day job, with a sometimes high stress factor. Then I fly out of work, hopefully in time to get to the gig after I go home and make sure that the family is set before I leave again. So sometimes having "a" drink isn't out of line, to calm down a bit. I don't do that all the time. And yes, some regular gigs, with regular crowds that we all know, I may have another one later in the evening. Most gigs, especially new venues to us, I won't even have the first one till late in the evening. Never is it from thinking it will make me "play better".

To answer the question, yes, I play better when sober. I'm quite conscious of that fact. And apply it as is appropriate.

Dr_Watso

Platinum Member
Yes, it is harder set up and tear down and drive home after the gig when your drunk or high. Famous musicians with roadies and chauffer's don't have to worry about that.
Obviously if you're getting so drunk you can't pack your stuff up you've overdone it. We're talking about some beers with your music not downing a handle of jack before setup. LOL.

And I certainly hope NOBODY here would drive drunk.

bearblastbeats

I never let drums get in the way of beer practice.

Just kidding, I can take it or leave it. I do have a rule of no more than 1-2 before a show. This is for the entire band. I had one bass player, who was also the promoter/organizer on a lot of the shows. He would get there early and set up the PA and just drink all day. By the time we were about to play he was so obliterated he would forget lyrics, screw up songs, and just really make us sound/look bad.