Light stick lover - can't win

SomeBadDrummer

I'm laying here reading this thread and once again I'm just blown away as to the life preserves being tossed overboard in the whirlpool of sticks. You guys are unfrikkin real around here. This all gets deep into the tools of our trade and the amount of responses I've read makes me just shake my head in near disbelief to the amount of intense scrutiny under the microscope of sticks. This is just amazing to me.
Actually it’s just a forum to discuss stuff like this lol

Ruok

Silver Member
Sometimes a very minor thing, such as stick choice, can have a major impact on sound and feel. I always loved the subtle differences that can be made or heard by slight changes in gear, technique or in the acoustic variations that arise from placements in a room, etc. For many people, this is boring and analyzing the sound and feel of drumsticks is almost irrelevant. That's fine, if that 's how one feels.

For me, I am almost instantly annoyed when watching a demo video, especially of cymbals, and they don't bother to say what sticks are being used in that video. Some will make a super long list of every little thing that was used to make that video but somehow feel it unnecessary to reveal the piece of gear making most of the sound; the sticks. The sticks is one of the first things I want to know when listening to other drummers.

Last edited:

Hewitt2

Sometimes a very minor thing, such as stick choice, can have a major impact on sound and feel. I always loved the subtle differences that can be made or heard by slight changes in gear, technique or in the acoustic variations that arise from placements in a room, etc. For many people, this is boring and analyzing the sound and feel of drumsticks is almost irrelevant. That's fine, if that 's how one feels.

For me, I am almost instantly annoyed when watching a demo video, especially of cymbals, and they don't bother to say what sticks are being used in that video. Some will make a super long list of every little thing that was used to make that video but somehow feel it unnecessary to reveal the piece of gear making most of the sound; the sticks. The sticks is one of the first things I want to know to when listening to other drummers.

But I would think stick selection is just one of many ingredients that result in sound. Personally I think that touch and technique are far more important. A skilled drummer can get a multitude of sounds out of their sticks. Assuming that a given sound coming off the cymbal was a result of a given stick type is a potential over-simplification.

Frank

Gold Member
Have you tried Vic Firth 7AN hickory? They are slightly shorter than the Regal Tips ~15 1/2” x 0.512” (approximate) diameter. Nylon tips. Let me know if you can’t find any and I’ll send you these since I don’t really use them much.
Thank you very much. I have tried other 15 1/2's, and I concluded I really need the 16. Thanks again.