Leland Sklar....The best ever

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
I have been spending a good deal of time watching a Youtube group of videos by Leland Sklar, bass phenom as he goes into depth of all of the music he has played on. It is a music history encyclopedia . As someone who always had aspirations to play the bass, I find his stories, his knowledge addictive. I will leave you one example, and if you like what you see, have any interest in music or the bass, you will probably like this.

basset52

I recently stumbled onto Lelands YT channel last week via Rick Beato. I'm addicted. Wonderfully talented and humble man. His session on Steve Porcaro is great.

wraub

As a long-time bass player, I can say that, to most, this man is revered for his musical accomplishments.

And, rightly so.

Vintage Old School

Gold Member
I have been spending a good deal of time watching a Youtube group of videos by Leland Sklar, bass phenom as he goes into depth of all of the music he has played on. It is a music history encyclopedia . As someone who always had aspirations to play the bass, I find his stories, his knowledge addictive. I will leave you one example, and if you like what you see, have any interest in music or the bass, you will probably like this.

I just came across his videos last night! I bookmarked them all and will be watching them this week.

Nothing but respect for Leland, not only musically, but for his work ethic and his commitment to honing his craft. What an incredible musician and wonderful human being.

cbphoto

Gold Member
Yes! I’ve been watching them daily. Really fun ‘cuz he real, not a phony. And he played on Spectrum. He’s done a couple numbers from that album, too.

Edit: the video of his gear shows that he’s very spartan in his approach to equipment. Worth watching, IMO.

Last edited:

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
From Wiki.....
Both in The Section and separately, Sklar has contributed to over 2,000 albums as a session musician. He also has toured with James Taylor, Toto, Phil Collins and other major rock and pop acts, and recorded many soundtracks to films and television shows. I think in one of his chats he said he had played on 2600 albums. I had not heard of the group, The Section, back up band.

Ransan

Yes Leland is a Godsend.
I think these two should definitely pair up.
Notice the axe he is shredding with.

Last edited:

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
I've been watching some of Leland's videos too. Some great contextual insights - riveting stuff.

opentune

Platinum Member
The vid about Gene Clark's obscure and forgotten 'No Other' album was quite intriguing. Had no idea it existed and its possibly his best work.

johnwesley

Silver Member
A real living treasure. I want to hear him do Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree and Santa Claus is Comin' to Town.

Jeremy Bender

Platinum Member
I had no idea he played on so many of the songs I've heard over the years! He and Jeff P. were like a remake of the wrecking crew by themselves!

Cat People by David Bowie? Very cool.

Last edited:

charliedrummer

He did a great one featuring Simon Phillips on June 11th. He also rattled off a list of drummers he played with that would make your jaw drop. His appreciation of great drummers is a breath of fresh air.