Larnell Lewis

I didn't even bother looking at that particular video yet. But I am late to the Larnell party, and I just found him on YouTube and listened to a few different tracks of us. Love, love his playing. Fantastic.

So I just got back from YouTube watching Larnell hearing a song for the first time. Are..you..kidding me. I need two days to learn make me smile. He must take vitamins. If there's an audition and I see him in line?..ill just quietly exit out the back door crossing my name off the list.

It's hard for me to believe that he's never heard this song before; however, I believe him because I live in the South, and I've never listened to "Free Bird" all the way through from start to finish. I just don't have that kind of time. I've got too many things to do.
Same with me, about him never hearing the song. Seems difficult to comprehend.

I've played Freebird with 2 different bands recently. Each time the tips made the difference in playing it. It's not as easy to play (in a fairly faithful manner) as you'd think.
Crowd loves Enter Sandman, too.

He has a photographic memory. Buddy Rich did too. When Buddy joined the Artie Shaw band in 1939, he sat in front of the band and listened for two nights, and on the third night, played the all arrangements flawlessly.

He got the ending wrong ;)

But he’s pretty brilliant anyway. Why? Because like all drummers doing this challenge, he uses Drumeo Active Listening (TM) instead of the just plain listening you and I do. Drumeo Active Listening (TM) is the key.

I love the " hard to believe he's never heard it " qoute. Ive never heard it, except for when the Yankees used to bring in Mariano Rivera as the closer.

Back