LA dwellers. What's good near Beverly/Alvarado?

Dr_Watso

Platinum Member
Hey folks. Driving south in a few weeks to record an album. Can anyone in the area clue me into cool places to eat/get gear near the studio? Beverly and Alvarado look like the closest big streets. Been down there near/in LA a few times for shows, but not that area!

I know you'll be very close to Pro Drum Shop which is on Vine St. just north of Melrose, and for eats, if you like French Dip sandwiches, try Phillipe's, which is also a short walk to Olivera Street where you can get some great Mexican food at a number of restaurants.

Oh cool, I was going to lookup pro drum and see if I was close. Never been there, but heard lots.

Probably should have mentioned I don't eat meat when asking for restaurants, but honestly I can even find stuff to eat at a burger place so it's not really an issue, just looking for places that don't serve low quality slop.

Oh cool, I was going to lookup pro drum and see if I was close. Never been there, but heard lots.

Probably should have mentioned I don't eat meat when asking for restaurants

Well then, I guess I won't be suggesting Pinks or Carney's

I was about to suggest you try the #19 pastrami on rye at Langer's Deli — until I saw that you don't eat meat. But considering I'm on the far west side and am a confirmed meat-aholic, I don't know of any good vegetarian options right by you.

However, if you don't mind driving about 10-15 minutes (or taking the purple line subway), Mr. Pizza near Wilshire and Western is a South Korean pizza chain that specializes in exotic crusts and toppings. I'd definitely recommend their sweet potato crust with whatever veggie toppings suit your fancy.

I was about to suggest you try the #19 pastrami on rye at Langer's Deli — until I saw that you don't eat meat. But considering I'm on the far west side and am a confirmed meat-aholic, I don't know of any good vegetarian options right by you.

However, if you don't mind driving about 10-15 minutes (or taking the purple line subway), Mr. Pizza near Wilshire and Western is a South Korean pizza chain that specializes in exotic crusts and toppings. I'd definitely recommend their sweet potato crust with whatever veggie toppings suit your fancy.

I've never heard of South Korean Pizza, and I think I'm going to go find that. Thanks!

I've never heard of South Korean Pizza, and I think I'm going to go find that. Thanks!

They're good! I actually first had them when I was visiting Seoul in 2012. They had a lobster pizza that knocked my socks off. After I got back to LA, I saw one as I was driving through Koreatown and had to go in. Unfortunately they don't have the lobster pizza here in the states, but they have far more variety than your normal pizza joint. And they do have the sweet potato crust here :)

Come to think of it, you won't be that far from downtown. You could also try Pitfire Pizza on 2nd & Main, which is one of my favorite places (well, I frequent the one on the westside closer to me). Even though you should try that sweet potato crust, Pitfire is actually my favorite pizza in LA. And they have way more than just pizza. Plus everything's very artisan and foodie-oriented, yet the prices are very reasonable.

Why not hit the Sunset Grill over in Hwood and do the Don Henley thing?

Attachments

• SunsetGril2l_54_990x660_201404231407.JPG
    SunsetGril2l_54_990x660_201404231407.JPG
    188.1 KB · Views: 538
If I knew what the "Don Henley thing" was, I might be tempted.

On second thought, Guitar Center has put me off my lunch more than once.

If I knew what the "Don Henley thing" was, I might be tempted.

On second thought, Guitar Center has put me off my lunch more than once.

Henley wrote it while they were recording in the area and would take a break for food down by the GC.

Let's go down to the Sunset Grill
We can watch the working girls go by
Watch the basket people walk around and mumble
And stare out at the auburn sky

Lot's of music stores around in that area by the GC.

Speaking of "Grill", the Tribal Cafe will be really close to you. It has Vegetarian stuff and it's really good. Haven't been there myself, but I heard about it.

Despite being in LA, I rarely get down to the Beverly/Alvarado area.

But it's LA, there are tons of great small Mexican places.

Henley wrote it while they were recording in the area and would take a break for food down by the GC.

Let's go down to the Sunset Grill
We can watch the working girls go by
Watch the basket people walk around and mumble
And stare out at the auburn sky

Lot's of music stores around in that area by the GC.

The funny thing is that place used to be a little hole in the wall dump.

But due to the Don Henley song, it's been renovated and made to look worthy of having been written about.

Back